RO Water Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Bishop

Reaction score
This is mostly directed at @Buckeye_Hydro but anyone feel free to chime in.

I have a pretty decently sized RO system. Currently I have a 14 gallon (Actual storage is somewhere between 10-11 gallons) pressurized storage tank. The system provides brewing water and drinking/ice maker water for my house.

I've got a booster pump and a permeate pump. Right now, the system is as efficient as I can make it and it makes water at a decent rate.

I was looking to increase the storage capacity of the system. Not sure if I should move to a larger pressure tank, or an atmospheric tank with a booster pump and a smaller pressure tank to feed the 'house' water needs. I know I can omit the permeate pump if I go to atmospheric storage.

My concern with the water storage is weather or not the water will go stagnant in the atmospheric tank.

Any ideas?

Sorry - just happened upon your post just now. Water can "go stagnant" in an atmospheric tank. You'll find a bacterial slime on the inside wall of the tank. In some instances to deal with this we put in a UV recir loop. Are you thinking of storing the water for an extended period of time?

The pump you'd want out of the tank would be a demand/delivery pump rather than a booster pump.

Have you thought about adding a second pressure tank? No problem at all having more than one pressure tank if you have the room for it.

Russ

When I was considering this, it was to increase storage for both home use and brewing use. Since the water could become stagnant this way, I'll likely be swapping to a larger tank at some point. I've got room for a larger tank but I don't think I could fit two of them there.

Back