Rivisiting Sparging a Large Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
I took everyone's advice in the post about sparging large grain bills and finished my IPA today(2nd AG batch). I used Bobby's ideas on sparging (no mashout), Salive and FlyGuy's suggestion concerning increasing my sparge volumes and Orfy's post on how to figure evaporation.
I ended up with around 69% efficiency. My OG ended up being l.072, short of my target but I think it will be OK. I ended up with a pre-boil volume of about 7.42 gallons and boiled this down to under 6 gallons. It took 105 minutes. This was to be a 90 min IPA so it boiled for an extra 15 minutes.

This IPA isn't going to win any awards. :) It will be outside of the standards for an IPA. I screwed up and used Caramunich unstead of Munich - 1 lb in a 17 lb grain bill. I can see the darkness in the carboy. I hope that the taste is not going to off to much.
Man this is really a learning process. Thank goodness for this forum.
Thanks again.

You should be fine. 69% isn't too bad for your 2nd time around. Another thing that could be holding your efficiency back is the crush...

Yes, this grain batch was crushed by the supplier. My Barley Crusher came today.

Back