Risk of oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worlddivides

Reaction score
So today I bottled my sour beer. I bought a new bottling bucket, auto-siphon, bottling wand, and so on.

I found out right when I tried to attach the bottling wand that, although the bottling bucket and bottling wand looked about the same as the other ones I'd been using, they were different. The bottling wand would not fit the bottling bucket's nozzle. The other ones I've used have a tapered nozzle, while this one is not tapered at all, making it 2-3x thicker than the nozzle on my normal bottling bucket. Plus, the nozzle pulls right off, making beer spill all over the floor.

Long story short, I couldn't attach the bottling wand, and every time I tried, beer would spill all over the floor. So, instead I just put the beer bottles right under the nozzle and directly filled them without the bottling wand. To reduce the risk of oxidation, I did it so the beer was hitting the side of the wall of the mouth of the bottles and not making any noise. Unfortunately, as a result, some of the bottles go filled literally to the top. Like less than 1mm of head space between the beer and the cap. I also used oxygen-absorbing crown caps, but I'm worried about oxidation.

So, will the beer oxidize? It does contain Brett, which has some degree of protection against oxidation (more than 100% sacch beers, at least) and the oxygen-absorbing caps. Also, I've been brewing for about 3 years now, but I've never had a bottle as full as the ones I filled today (mainly because this was the first time I was unable to use a bottling cap).

What do you think?

Did you try to stick the bottling wand directly in the nozzle? I always use a short piece of vinyl tubing in between the 2. I've never had a bucket/wand combo where the wand would directly fit in the nozzle.

As for over filing bottles, I always pour a little out on the ground or in the sink if I over filled them.

As far as oxidation goes, it's hard to tell until you taste them. You always introduce oxygen during bottling, it's jut a matter of how much and will the yeast consume it all up while conditioning.

Did you try to stick the bottling wand directly in the nozzle? I always use a short piece of vinyl tubing in between the 2. I've never had a bucket/wand combo where the wand would directly fit in the nozzle.

My clean beer bottling bucket and bottling wand fit together perfectly. At a brief glance, the new ones I got look just like the ones I use for clear beer, but when you actually try to use them, you find that's not the case at all.

I wouldn't try to stick anything "inside" the nozzle because that could cause a leak. It would need to fit "around" the nozzle. Like I said, though, my clean beer nozzle is tapered with a very small end and it getting larger as it goes up, so the tubing easily fits around it and tightens as it goes up. Also, the nozzle doesn't easily come off like my new one.

It's just ****ing annoying that such a bad design flaw could potentially damage or destroy 6 months of work. Hopefully the Brett can protect the beer from oxidation.

Yeah no, just stick a 6 inch piece of vinyl tubing over the end of the nozzle and bottling wand and you will have a tight seal.

Back