RIMS Temp Measuring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
First, I am running, or attempting to run a eBIAB with a RIMS....

So I have a RTD in the output of the RIMS Tube and one at the output of the kettle as it returns to the pump.

the only other place I can put a probe is the input/return of the kettle after the RIMS output

After the rims is better but make sure you check it against the actual mash temp. There will be a difference that you'll need to dial in.

so if I want a 154 mash temp, and I set the RIMS exit temp at 154, it will probably come in low, so I add the difference back to the RIMS exit temp?

Is this correct logic?

There will be a temp gradient between the output of your rims and the mash itself. There may be a slight temp gradient between your mash and the temp of the wort leaving the mash. Every system is different depending on size of the batch, flow rate thru your system, distance between vessels, insulation, etc. You can use water (approximate the volume of your mash) to do several trial runs to dial in your system.

Yeah it depends on a few factors like travel distance between your RIMS output and your MT. I set my RIMS temp about 1-1.5 degrees above my desired mash temp and it maintains perfectly but YMMV.

There will be a temp gradient between the output of your rims and the mash itself. There may be a slight temp gradient between your mash and the temp of the wort leaving the mash. Every system is different depending on size of the batch, flow rate thru your system, distance between vessels, insulation, etc. You can use water (approximate the volume of your mash) to do several trial runs to dial in your system.

+1 on that.

I was amazed at how much the temperature in the mash varies with radial position and depth (10 gallon stainless kettle). It seems like the recirculating flow takes the path of least resistance through the mash which is generally closer to the center 2/3. So, this region which is at control temperature, is usually 1-2 degrees warmer than the periphery of the MLT. I'm sure there are many variables at play here the point being get a probe and check the mash temp in a few locations so the correct set point or probe offset can be made.

Control your PID with a sensor located immediately downstream of the heat source that the PID is controlling. You can insert thermometers at various other points in your wort circuit to measure how the temp varies going through the mash. It does take several minutes for a temperature change to work its way through the system. It can't be instantaneous.

Remember, the enzymes that convert our wort are in the wort and not in the grain. You don't want to overheat your wort in an attempt to speed up the heating of the grain bed. Just focus on the wort temperature coming out of your RIMS and the rest of the system will get there...eventually.

Back