RIMS Dip tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm refining my RIMS build, and I have this nagging question.

It's been stated, several times, that one should avoid using fittings that are smaller than the inlet diameter of the pump. In this case, my pump has 1/2" pipe threads on the inlet.

Everywhere in my rig, I have camlocks from Bobby_M at brewhardware... Except for the dip tube.

The dip tube is from eBay, and it is described as 1/2". It's a compression fitting that screws into a 1/2" coupling.

The dip tube itself fits inside of all of my fittings, so therefore is unlikely to be 1/2" inner diameter.

Two questions: Is there anything wrong with using this dip tube? If so, what are all you other RIMS brewers using for dip tubes?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Long storu is it would depend on everything else on the inlet side of the pump - how long are the hoses, how far below the liquid level is the pump, what other fittings (tess, elbows) are there. And also somewhat depend on the outlet side - how much backpressure is there. In most cases I would say it is probably no a huge issue having a short section of 1/2" tube on the inlet, if you were down to 3/8" tube you might not be happy (measure the outside diameter to determine the tube size). If you are not having any issues with the pump being starved then you should be ok.

The problem you'd have, if you end up having it, is cavitation. It happens when you try pumping hot liquid at full bore and have either restrictions or turbulence-causing designs.

In most RIMS scenarios you are already throttling the pump down to about half so you'd never have issues there. Where most people get hung up with restrictive fittings or narrow diptubes is when they try whirlpooling boiling wort at full throttle.

Bobby_M

Is the actual 5/8" dip tube with the integrated coupling identical to the one without? You mentioned in the integrated dip tube description that it was never less than 1/2". Is that true for the other one?

I just ordered the regular one...

I would add another consideration regarding dip tubes and any other piping on the suction side of the RIMS pump.

Any suction plumbing or fitting that leaks will cause air to be drawn into the system. This will cause pump cavitation, noisy operation, loss of prime, and wort aeration.

When setting up my RIMS, I had more problems with vacuum leaks on the suction side of the pump than any other plumbing problem on the pressurized side of the pump.

Once I corrected those, I was amazed how much better brew day went.

Any of mine that are labeled 5/8" will have an ID of 9/16 and the bore of the compression fittings are 14mm which is also about 9/16". I need to change the text on the site about hand tightening. When we were using silicone orings as the ferrules, hand tight was fine. We converted over to nylon ferrules and you do need to tighten 1/4 turn more than hand tight. On the other hand, you also don't have to replace the orings so often.

Any of mine that are labeled 5/8" will have an ID of 9/16 and the bore of the compression fittings are 14mm which is also about 9/16". I need to change the text on the site about hand tightening. When we were using silicone orings as the ferrules, hand tight was fine. We converted over to nylon ferrules and you do need to tighten 1/4 turn more than hand tight. On the other hand, you also don't have to replace the orings so often.

I figured that out yesterday when brewing.

By the way, I had a great brew day, much in part to all of your products. Cam locks, tubing, RIMS, dip tube, etc etc.

Thank you for your awesome products and service!

Latest posts

Back