RIMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgonzo108

Reaction score
After researching and reading posts I decided to pull the trigger and build a RIMS system. I am pretty handy with tools so the build didn't concern me. However, reading wiring schematics is like reading Chinese to me. As luck would have it, a family friend's son works as a Controls Engineer for an oil and gas company, who also brews beer, agreed to help with the project. I have acquiring parts for the project over the last few weeks. In lieu of buying all of the parts separately through EBay and Amazon, I opted to purchase a DYI kit from Electric Brew Supply. Here is the link:

http://www.ebrewsupply.com/shop/ebrew-kits/20a-rims-kit.html

To make things even more convenient, I found out that the shop is less than 2 miles from the house. Ryan, the shop owner is great and willing to answer any questions I had. I would highly recommend his shop to anyone looking to build an electric brewery.

I purchased the 18" RIMS tube from Brewers Hardware. The tube came in Friday and man it is sexy. Solidly built and very aesthetically pleasing.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413126488.608170.jpg

I picked up a project box and started working on the layout. Made the first cut for the PID.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413126650.826304.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413126670.148740.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413126684.084998.jpg

Once the first cut was made, I used a 7/8" step bit to drill the holes for the LED's and switches.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413126738.803781.jpg

Andrew then started on his part, the wiring.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413126782.286277.jpg

After some trouble shooting the final product came to life. Haven't brewed with it yet and still need to do some leak testing with the tube. Can't wait to test this bad boy out.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413126931.425010.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I know it has been some time since I did the build, but I finally got around to leak testing and test firing my RIMS system. I have used this wire shelf for storing my brew equipment and it will serve as a temporary brew stand until I upgrade.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417033575.167150.jpg

I filled up my Mash Tun, which is the cooler on top, with water and fired up the control panel. Started recirculating the water through the RIMS tube to make sure there were no leaks around the base of the element. After a test run, I pugged up the element and lifted it up.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417033702.877836.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417033732.200940.jpg

Let the water get up to 95 degrees from 67 and did a 10 degree step increase to see how long it would take. Took only 7 minutes to get to 105.

Did another test to see how much of a temperature differential between the water volume and RiMS outlet temp there was.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417034088.742526.jpg

All in all, I am pleased with the result and performance. I can't wait to brew my first batch with the new set up.

Congrats on the new build! Testing and the anticipation of the first batch is exciting.

I just finished a similar build last weekend, and did a test run with just water on Sat, and brewed on Sunday. Nothing like a new toy to play with, especially when it works as expected!
Nice build.

im assuming you sre using gas to boil still correct? also does this kit hook up to 110v or 220v?

can you post a picture of the inside of your mash tun?

thanks

You are correct. Still use gas to boil and heat up sparge / strike water. The system runs off 110v. I will post a pic of my mash tun in a little later.

Went with a 4500 LWD element.

Wow, that is a pretty impressive temp rise off of 1125 watts on 120v! Makes me feel pretty good about my decision to go with a 5500 watt element. It should be just right :ban:

Thanks for sharing your build!

Back