RIIPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkarian

Reaction score
Looking for some insane hoppiness, so what do you guys think? And yes I can get all these hops.

Don't Fear the RIIPA
OG 1.090
Est FG 1.018
Est ABV 9.1%
IBUS 204
SRM 8.0

10# Marris Otter malt
4# Rye malt
1.25# Munich
1.25# Flaked Rye
0.75# Red wheat malt
1# clear candi sugar
Single mash at 150F 90 Min
Decoction Mash out 168F
Double Batch Sparge

90 Min Boil
1oz Zues FWH 90
1oz Amarillo Gold FWH 90
1oz Centennial FWH 90

1oz Zeus 60
1oz Zeus 20
1oz Zeus 10
1oz Amarillo Gold 10
1oz Centennial 10
1oz Zeus 5
1oz Amarillo Gold 5
1oz Centennial 5
1oz Zeus 0 Whirlpool
1oz Amarillo Gold 0 Whirlpool
1oz Centennial 0 Whirlpool

1oz Cascade Dry Hop 7 days
1oz Amarillo Gold Dry hop 7days
1oz Centennial Dry hop 7days
Dry hops mixed together and added at 1oz increments over 3weeks

Pitched S-05 at 62F
3-4wks primary
4wks secondary

Are you gonna have anything left to drink after those hops soak up all your wort? Or is that the plan, to eat the hops after they've soaked up the beer. That would be insanely hoppy. :)

I guess I could get a bowl and spoon and eat up. No seriously though I plan on starting with about 7gal and maybe getting 4.5 to the fermenter. Also planning on gently squeezing the wort out of the hops after cooled.
Something like this
Music City Brewers • View topic - HopGod Beer the Complete Guide

I know its probably retarded but I like a challange and love me some hops.

I'd call it "Pliny the Rye"

I'm not sure I'd bother removing the dry hops when adding more, but it is nice adding dry hops in stages over time.

Edit: Just noticed the mash hops. I've tried doing the same recipe with and without MH and have never noticed the MH adding anything. I've never done a real experiment comparing them, but IMHO its not a worthwhile use of hops.

Yeah it is kinda Pliny inspired and I though the rye would be a nice change. Yeah wasnt sure about the MH Ive heard both ways. Will probably consider dropping those.

Well I finally went and brewed this thing today. Edited the recipe above to what I actually did. No trouble sparging with all the rye just a little slow. Ended up a little low on my Efficiency probably due to bad crush so I added a little candi sugar to bump up the OG and help dry it out in the finish and accentuate the hops. For all you unbelievers out there I ended up with almost 5gallons in the fermenter. Used a strainer and squeezed as much wort as I could out of the hops after cooling with my IC. This thing smelled amazing hopefully it will turn out. Only time will tell:ban:

On a side note thinking about a grim reaper with a cow bell in his hand for the label.

that's so much hops that I think they'll absorb a crap load of wort. you might want to take that into account by brewing a little more wort.
I have no idea what Zeus hops taste like. I've seen them around but never used them.

Already brewed it. The hop gods took about a half gallon of wort ended up just shy of 5gal out of a 5.5 gal recipe. Used a fine seive and a spoon and squeezed wort out of hops after it was cooled to 65F. Zeus is the same as Tomahawk or Columbus.

Racked to secondary today. Ended up with about 4.5gal. Dryhopped with 3oz mix of Amarillo gold, Centennial and Zues. SG was 1.018 for an abv of 9.4%:rockin:. Almost knocked me over with hop aroma when I opened the primary bucket too.

Latest posts

Back