Riding Lawn Mower - Which One To Choose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
I know this isn't a lawn forum, but for those of you who understand lawn mowers, motors, etc (which I don't know anything about)... I'd like to ask you to help me out.

My raggedy push mower broke down yesterday and I have been pushing hard to get a rider. I've now got the ok from the SWMBO to spend up to approx $1,500 and am torn on what is the best mower for the money. Please take into account all aspects, including resale. We don't have a Home Depot here (we do have a Lowe's though), and if possible, I'd like to buy from a local dealer instead of the big box retailers. Also, I have a flat lawn that is not very large with only a couple trees.

Here are the ones I've looked at and debating between (however, feel free to add another choice if you'd like).

John Deere D100
Cub Cadet LTX1040
Husqvarna YTH22V42
Troy-Bilt Bronco (comes with dump trailer)

Thanks! :mug:

I don't think John Deere is what it used to be, my buddy has constant problems with his. Just based on motors, I would take the Kohler, via Cub Cadet. I don't have much experience with mowers, but I have used kohlers, and briggs a LOT and the kohlers will last forever.
I see the troy built also uses kohler, interesting.

P.S. I've seen your yard, buy a push mower and invest the rest in brewing equipment.

The problem with buying a John Deere 100 series is they use cheaper parts and the decks rust quickly and are paper thin. My tractor was 3 years old, I cared for it very well, but it was still in rough shape when I sold it $400. At least twice a year I would have to level the deck or adjust the antiscalp wheels to keep the cut nice. I replaced it with an Ariens 34" wide Area walk behind for $1,400 shipped from eBay. I am happy that I did ,I get a better cut and I don't have to level the deck every time I bump it. I only have .6 acres though.

My grandfather had a John Deere that ran for years, but as the post above states, I'm not sure if they still put out that same product. From my own personal experience, I'd recommend not purchasing a Craftsman.

P.S. I've seen your yard, buy a push mower and invest the rest in brewing equipment.

And you've also met my wife... so you understand that buying a cheaper mower doesn't equate to being allowed to spend more money on brewing equip. ;)

I bought a Craftsman probably 15 years ago and it's still running great. Small issues since then. The deck is starting to rot out and the paint is faded and not as shiny as it used to be. About what I expect from leaving it outside all summer most years...

My FIL bought a John Deere a few years ago and he's already had to replace the bearing assemblies in the deck twice. The thing is barely more comfortable to ride than mine IMO and just as loud (negating the fact that I now need to install a new muffler). He's also had to replace other things I can't recall ATM.

I don't doubt that JD makes great stuff, but comparing his to mine, I'd still buy that Craftsman if the price was the same.

As far as my deck goes, I have just patched with some scrap Stainless Sheet metal for now. I probably should have cleaned it and parked inside after each use, but the shed where it's stored gets constant traffic from bikes during the summer.

I just talked to my buddy, he said he would not recommend their riding lawn mowers, this is coming from a guy who eats off of John Deere plates.

I bought a Craftsman probably 15 years ago and it's still running great. Small issues since then. The deck is starting to rot out and the paint is faded and not as shiny as it used to be. About what I expect from leaving it outside all summer most years...

My grandfather had a John Deere that ran for years, but as the post above states, I'm not sure if they still put out that same product. From my own personal experience, I'd recommend not purchasing a Craftsman.

15 years ago Craftsman probably still was a good solid brand, but it's not what it used to be. Sears is still using the name to sell product, but the quality has fallen way off. Don't know much about John Deere, but I would second Cub Cadet.

15 years ago Craftsman probably still was a good solid brand, but it's not what it used to be. Sears is still using the name to sell product, but the quality has fallen way off. Don't know much about John Deere, but I would second Cub Cadet.

THat could be. I haven't had to buy a riding mower since then. But I have heard good things about Cub Cadet as well.

Do they still make Murrays? If so, stay away!

If I were buying a riding mower again I'd probably start hitting up some review sites online and reading through them. Also please take into account that many of the reviewers are probably stupid. You'll have to weed through them and estimate their technical abilities and intelligence levels. If they are anything like the morons who post about computer equipment anyway. ;)

I've got a Toro GT2200 (coincidentally, also with a Kohler motor) that I bought about 4 or 5 years ago, and love the thing to death. Which reminds me, it's about time to remove the chains and plow blade and get it ready for lawn duty again...

I have a larger, treed lawn and thus a zero turn Cub Cadet with a Kohler and love it. Engine is trouble free and smooth. Hopefully that translates to the rest of the Cub line up.

I only have a third acre, a self-propelled is nice - but my brother is in NC with 2 acres and has a Cub Cadet - he says the only thing good on it is the motor - All kinds of problems - early rust, bolts drop off, brackets break - and he keeps it covered and in a shed so it's not sitting in the weather. His is about 3 years old so maybe they're better now...

Both John Deere and Craftsman took a turn for the worst in the recent years. Shopped around for my Mom 2 summers ago and decided to go with the Husqvarna 42in deck. They had an option of either a 21hp Kohler or a 22hp Briggs. Opted with the Briggs due to better service package and warranty. The thing is a power horse. And she loves it because its comfortable.

I have a Husqavarna riding mower with a 48" deck with a Briggs motor that has treated me well. I change the oil and filters every season and keep it in the garage. No issues.

Had an MTD (Murray?) with a Briggs and Stratton. Why would you think I mean castration, Microsoft? What do you think I do with lawn mowers? It was a rugged beast.

Snapper is still a commercial favorite. Tough as tough can be, easy to use, easy to work on and parts are readily available.

How much land are you mowing and how often do you mow? I am an equipment dealer and can give you insight to your options. In any case, stay away from john deere and lean towards a machine running a Kohler engine, they're the best small gasoline engines available IMO.

I researched the crap out of this topic last year when I purchased my lawn tractor. The Deere products you buy at the big box stores arent the same as you would buy from a JD dealer, so i would stay away.

I ended up getting the cub cadet 46" with the Kohler 22hp engine and I love it. Runs well and quiet

i have had no problems with my Husqvarna. it has a briggs engine.

i would buy one with either a briggs or kohler engine.

or get a push mower with a briggs or kohler and keep the extra $1000 in your pocket

I researched the crap out of this topic last year when I purchased my lawn tractor. The Deere products you buy at the big box stores arent the same as you would buy from a JD dealer, so i would stay away.

I've heard this as well. Two totally differnt grades of machine with the big box versions being much less substantially built.

I'm an equipment guy, been around it all my life, and know a lot of the models inside and out. Give me a basic run down of the amount of space you mow and if it has hills, is flat, ect. and I can point you in a good direction.

here is a basic run down:

John Deere:
Select Series are good machines (X300, X304, ect). Based on your budgetary numbers, you will be looking at used. They utlilize industrial Kawasaki motors and better transaxles. I personally have an X300 42" model and mow right at an acre of grass each week. Slightly hilly, and it gets the job done very nicely. Maintenance parts are reasonably priced, deck is nice and heavy, and it is easy to service. I did have to disable the reverse blade disengaging system for my own sanity, but other than that don't have a single complaint.

The D series that you see at lowes/home depot are really cheap. You can get them at any dealer as well, but stay away from them, not worth the time.

Cub Cadet:
Manufactured by MTD. These are a mixed bag. My father has a larger unit (GT2052 I think) that has an industrial Kohler Command motor. Good machine, but prone to overheat if you don't keep the cooling passages clear. Most of the machines that you see at the big box stores are on the same quality level as a D series Deere, but there are some ok units available at these retailers. Check out the small engine shops that are Cub dealers and you will see similar prices and much better guidance.

Craftsman
Now made by Husqvarna. Like Cub Cadet they are a mixed bag. They have some nice stuff in their lineup, but it is typically overpriced compared to units of the same quality from other vendors. Another thing, craftsman typically will take a standard Briggs motor and make minor modifications so that you can only use Craftsman branded air filters on them, significantly increasing your maintenance cost. (I just serviced my inlaws this past weekend. Parts were $105.00 compared to $70 on my Deere).

Husqvarna
Like most, mixed bag under the same name plate. They offer some nice machines though. Shop at a local dealer rather than a big box store and they will typically treat you right.

Snapper
If you are mowing flat ground and the space isn't that big (half acre or so) this is my top choice. Go for a traditional rear engine rider, but do not get the "hi-vac" deck (good for sucking up leaves but they streak consistently). The non high vac decks don't have this issue and are good, simple, reliable machines. If you are considering a push mower, they make a really good unit that has a cast aluminum deck.

Honda
Best self propelled walk behind on the market. I personally don't care for any self propelled unit just because to make the gearing heavy enough to last you would have any extremely cumbersome machine. This isn't feasible, however Honda gets closer than anyone else. Unless self propelled is an absolute (ie will get the wife to cut the grass) I would personally avoid it. Non self propelled units are also very well made. Buy through a small engine dealer rather than big box.

Back