Rhizome source in WA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
We're siting our hops bed for a planting next spring, working on soil amendments, and looking at what varieties we want.

We're in Washington State, and it's my understanding that pursuant to state regulations we can't legally import hops rhizomes or plants from outside the state. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Assuming that I'm right, can any of you recommend Washington State suppliers that will ship rhizomes, and that have good selection and prices?

Hey, I just bought a centennial plant down at the Oly. farmers mkt. 2 weeks ago. Guy on the west end of the mkt. had several varieties.

brewstaedt said:
Hey, I just bought a centennial plant down at the Oly. farmers mkt. 2 weeks ago. Guy on the west end of the mkt. had several varieties.

Yeah, I saw that guy too. We just weren't ready to plant yet (still aren't) and weren't sure which varieties we wanted. I'm a noob in this area, as in most areas of brewing.

We're in Washington State, and it's my understanding that pursuant to state regulations we can't legally import hops rhizomes or plants from outside the state. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

You're correct. The good thing is that since WA is a major hop producer, state hop producers have just about everything you need.

Assuming that I'm right, can any of you recommend Washington State suppliers that will ship rhizomes, and that have good selection and prices?

Your local home brew supply is a good place to get rhizomes, Not all of them have some but a good few do. Most of these LHBSs get their hops from the distributors or the hop growers themselves:

http://www.rnventerprises.com/services.html

http://www.hopsdirect.com/

RNV has a list of hops on their web site and a little bit about the hops to help you decide what will grow in your area.

Back