review of the year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microscopist

Reaction score
So the year's nearly up and it's seen a lot of brewing. I'm going through my notes and planning for 2015. There are definitely some I'll be repeating and some lessons learnt

The failures
I give up on Munich malt, all those brews have been disappointing and thin, maybe try again some other time

The triumphs
Honey rye saison, possibly the best thing I've ever brewed - the Boadicea hops combined with the medicinal hint of dry honey beer is amazing, shame it's well over 10%

The Bret brown ale, damn that stuff's gorgeous and well worth the three month wait

Anyone else got brews worth repeating?

My Cougar Country IPA was a good one, but expensive to produce. Hoppy, resiny slightly malty. The ESB kit from Morebeer was so good, I bought another one. The Whiskely Stout & Snowbound vanilla porter were good too.

Last year's pumpkin coffee porter was delicious. This year's will be "ready" in about a week or so and I hope it is just as good. If so, I will continue it yearly.

Loved the tripel I did this year, but doesn't taste or feel as strong as most tripels I have had. Did not get OG so I don't know where it actually sits. lesson learn"t"!

I was thinking of adding more chocolate malt to the mash for the Whiskely porter. Seems like it'd be tasty?...:mug:

This year has sort of sucked for brewing. I have a problem that I can't seem to nail down. The only exception is that my milk stouts kick ass. Everything else seems to suck lately, though.

I'd say my India Red ale came out great alongside my chocolate milk stout. I'll be repeating both eventually.

This year has sort of sucked for brewing. I have a problem that I can't seem to nail down. The only exception is that my milk stouts kick ass. Everything else seems to suck lately, though.

What is happening?

Honey rye saison, possibly the best thing I've ever brewed - the Boadicea hops combined with the medicinal hint of dry honey beer is amazing, shame it's well over 10%

Anyone else got brews worth repeating?

That sounds tasty!

For me it was my 6 hop ipa I just brewed a month ago. Mixed together cascade, centennial, Columbus, Amarillo, simcoe, and mosaic, 1oz each , then split them into 6 cups. 1 cup at each 20min,15min,10min,5min,flameout,dry hop. Came out amazing!

Im too new to have a favorite yet but my first all grain IPA was pretty dam good.I learned patience and not to get to drinking it after a couple weeks

What is happening?

I have been struggling with a salty/minerally taste for quite some time now. I have had several theories (with the help of members on this site), but none have been the smoking gun. I still have a few more theories to test. I discuss it more here.

The other thing that popped up on my last batch was a band-aid flavor. I discuss it in this thread. It may be an infected bucket, but I have read that chloramine can permeate into plastics.

Anyway, I am still trying things. I will get it nailed down. It is just disappointing. I just brewed an IPA and I am going to bottle some of it and keg the rest to see if there is an issue with my kegging system.

Brew on! :mug:

Back