Reusing bottles with glass corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlescales

Reaction score
One of the local meaderies in my area makes some pretty tasty meads that they bottle with glass corks. I'm working on a bottle of their raspberry melomel right now, and I am wondering if these can be reused? They put a heat-shrink seal or something around the bottle after corking and the glass cork has a little gasket on it. Maybe I can pick up fresh gaskets? Of course, I'll have to make good and sure the ferment is done... at the wine shop we get the mead from they told us there was a secondary ferment issue with one of the varieties we wanted, they were in storage in the back as the occasional glass cork was prone to go wizzing by...

That sounds like the Vino-lock product. I've not had the chance to see one myself, but they sound like a really neat closure. I suspect that they could be reused, but you might want to ask the manufacturer. I'd love to be able to buy these for home brew.

Back