Reuse yeast slurry from beer for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparginGrain

Reaction score
I’m about to rack an IPA tonight into the secondary. I was also reading today about making hard cider. Could I use the slurry from the bottom of my IPA to create a starter for the cider, or is the yeast not going to eat the sugar because it is now used to maltose (WYeast American Ale 1056, made a pretty big starter when originally pitched)? I’m not looking to make any award winning cider here, just really looking to reuse some yeast and get about a gallon or 2 of boozy cider.

You can reuse yeast from beer to make cider, but I would not recommend doing it the other way around. The yeast supposedly gets used to the simple sugars and has difficulty fermenting the more complex sugars in beer (this is what I have read - never tested it).

You will not need much. I would go with about 1/4 of the cake for 5 gallons. Since you are making less than that, it should be reduced accordingly; maybe an 1/8th for 2 gallons. No need to make a starter if you are using it within a few weeks.

Too much yeast and you don't get much of the yeast character, and it takes off like an active volcano.

If you are unsure of my numbers, you can keep some extra in mason jars in the fridge and add if you don't get healthy fermentation within 24 hours - trust me, you will provided you keep it at the right temperature for the yeast.

Latest posts

Back