Repurpose welding tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony B

Reaction score
I was given an old but still good gas tank labeled argon-co2 from a friend that’s not welding anymore.
I believe it’s a 20# tank.
Would I be able to have this filled with straight co2 for my future keezer?

I *think* that tank would be compatible with high pressure systems (like N2 or N2/CO2 blends) if you want to go fancy.

I *think* that tank would be compatible with high pressure systems (like N2 or N2/CO2 blends) if you want to go fancy.
I think the argon and nitrogen regulators use the same tank connection and the argon regulator seem to have a flow meter on it. I think you would need a nitrogen style regulator. The usual regulators for CO2 in homebrewing though use a different tank connection (female) than nitrogen (and argon)(male). They have different CGA numbers. The low pressure gauge on a CO2 regulator is also a bit lower for homebrewing vs nitrogen which also have a low pressure gauge. 0-30 psi is fine for CO2, Beer gas low pressure gauge needs about 4x that for instance (it's a nitrogen/CO2 mixture( and the pure nitrogen gauges I've seen some that were 0-600 psi. You'd probably need to change the low gauge if you used a nitrogen regulator to account for the tank connection as the range is going to be wider. But maybe there is a specific CO2 regulator that fits the tank. Even homebrewing CO2 regulators however have varying low pressure gauges, 0-30, 0-60, 0-100 but you don't really need anything over 30 usually. It would be in the $10-$15 range for a new low pressure gauge. I also don't know how common it is to have CO2 in that style of higher pressure tank. I've only read that it's sometimes done but I don't know how easy it would be to get a refill for it.

So probably but it might be a hassle.

CO2 cylinders typically sport CGA320 valves while "mixed gas" cylinders suitable for nitrogen, argon, argon/co2, beer gas, etc, usually come with CGA580 valves. Aside from changing stems I don't think there's much difference between regulators for any of those...

Cheers!

CO2 cylinders typically sport CGA320 valves while "mixed gas" cylinders suitable for nitrogen, argon, argon/co2, beer gas, etc, usually come with CGA580 valves. Aside from changing stems I don't think there's much difference between regulators for any of those...

Cheers!
I appreciate the specifics for the stem types. I had no idea. I googled it and they make adapters going both ways.

Your area may be different but I know where I live I don't have a place anywhere near by "fills" your tank. They all just swap it. Even the welding supply shop that also does beverage CO2. So before you buy an adapter see if anyone would actually "fill" it. Also if you have a welding supply that does both welding and beverage maybe they'd let you trade your welding bottle for a CO2 bottle.

Your area may be different but I know where I live I don't have a place anywhere near by "fills" your tank. They all just swap it. Even the welding supply shop that also does beverage CO2. So before you buy an adapter see if anyone would actually "fill" it. Also if you have a welding supply that does both welding and beverage maybe they'd let you trade your welding bottle for a CO2 bottle.
That! ^

Since the tank is "old" it likely needs to be recertified (hydro tested) before it can be refilled.
Maybe you can use it as a trade-in (swap) for a filled CO2 tank. Call around first... to find out what your best options are.

Definitely call around first and ask about a swap. I would be surprised if you could find anyone to fill CO2 into that tank. I once had to argue for 20 minutes at Airgas to have them take a CO2 tank back that didn’t have its CO2 sticker on it because they were concerned it might have had some other gas in it at some point.

once had to argue for 20 minutes at Airgas to have them take a CO2 tank back that didn’t have its CO2 sticker on it because they were concerned it might have had some ot

lol! I had the same conversation with AirGas but regarding my 40cf beer gas cylinder - which I had stripped and painted and had refilled a number of times elsewhere. AirGas said no way they'd accept it so I again took it elsewhere for a cert and sticker...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back