Replacing sugar with juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
Want to make a Hard Blueberry Cider recipe. I will make it based of of Ed Wort's Alphenwein but use a Cider Yeast. My question is I don't want to end up with a super high FG and be drinking rocket fuel because I am adding more sugar (blueberry juice) to Ed’s recipe.

So can I simply figure out the total grams of sugar used in Ed's recipe and then subtract the grams of sugar in my Blueberry juice? Here is what I am thinking:

ED'S RECIPE:
5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (2,160 grams of sugar)
2 pounds corn sugar (2 pounds converts to 907 grams of sugar)

MY ADDITIONS:
32 oz Blueberry Juice - in primary (72 grams of sugar)
32 oz Blueberry Juice - in secondary (72 grams of sugar)

... so should I subtract 144 grams of sugar (total of of Blueberry Juice sugars) from Ed's recipe (his recipe is 3067 total grams of sugar) to end up with the same OG/FG as Ed's recipe?

In general is it this simple to just swap out grams ofsugar like this - or is there more to it?

I made a blueberry with apple juice, no added sugar and canned blueberry pie filling. You can get all natural with just fruit & sugar. I used Ale yeast but Cider yeast would be just fine.

The blueberry wine will be somewhat acidic and may need to be stablized and sweetened, depending on your taste.

Back