Renewed Fermentation and High ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredler

Reaction score
I started a traditional mead with fresh tulip poplar honey on 9/17/09 using one gallon of honey and enough water for 5gal of must total. I pitched Wyeast Rudesheimer #4783 with an alcohol tolerance of 14% ABV. I used nutrients and the fermentation went pretty quickly, tapering off around the two and a half week mark. I let it sit and clear until about 12 days ago when I racked it off the lees into a clean bucket to settle some more.

I tasted it when I transfered it and it was good but harsh (as expected from fresh mead) and maybe a little weak in the flavor dept, but that could just be because it is at room temp and has lots of alcohol bite. When I tested the gravity it was 1.009 down from the original 1.100, that comes to about 12.1% ABV.

The problem is that the fermentation seems to have started up again. It's only bubbling once every few minutes, but I worry for two reasons:

1) I don't think I want a much higher alcohol content than 12.5%-13% because of how light the flavor is...

2) I don't want prolonged fermentation to cause off-flavors from stressed yeast.

Thoughts?

If you live somewhere where the weather outside is cold enough right now you could try to cold crash it, although the yeast you're using seems to have a fairly wide temperature tolerance.

I'd leave it alone. I mean, we're talking about .009, this will likely finish right about 1.000, so you'll be pretty close to your 12.5-13% ABV. Just let it do it's thing & it'll finish up right about where you wanted it to & it'll clear on it's own. I think at the most, you might need to rack 1 more time before you bottle. Mead takes time. Regards, GF.

I'd leave it alone. I mean, we're talking about .009, this will likely finish right about 1.000, so you'll be pretty close to your 12.5-13% ABV. Just let it do it's thing & it'll finish up right about where you wanted it to & it'll clear on it's own. I think at the most, you might need to rack 1 more time before you bottle. Mead takes time. Regards, GF.

Okay, thanks. That makes sense.

I think I'm going to let it go until about February and bottle in April or so, reserving 1/4 for immediate consumption, 1/4 for consumption in the fall, and the rest for as long as I can wait ;)

Back