Removing the vacuum in a double bucket Mash Ton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powersurge

Reaction score
I have a cheap mash ton. Its basically a double bucket with the inside bucket's bottom drilled with a thousand or so holes.

After making a few batches I was having a problem sparging. The wort would come out of the spigot very slow and it would take a very long time to complete the sparge.

This is how I fixed it. I drilled a hole in the center of the false bottom. I inserted a rubber grommet in that hole and then took a broken racking cane I had and slid it through. The racking cane sits about a 1/4 of an inch off the bottom of the outside bucket. The top of the racking cane sits above the water line. Air can now make its way to the bottom of the bucket. Before this the spigot would have to suck in air as it was draining the wort. With this method the spigot is dedicated to draining the wort and no longer has to compete with the air that needs to be at the bottom of the bucket to alleviate the vacuum. Sparging is now a dream and takes no time at all.

Back