Removing the training wheels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJHG_1

Reaction score
Hi all! I've brewed 5 or 6 1-gallon batches of beer now and they all turned out decently well. The thing is they were all pre-packaged all grain mixes so everything was already thought out and all I had to do was follow the directions. I really enjoyed the experiences but I'm really trying to progress past the pre-packaged mix game and come up with my own recipes or try others that I find. That being said, my wife's birthday is coming up and she had this beer a few years back that has been retired. While I realize I may be jumping into the deep end here I figure it would be a pretty solid gift to recreate that beer (or at least put up an effort). The beer was a bubble tea IPA and it was strange (note grain bill) but good. I came up with a pretty loose recipe for it based off the description. I'm going for a light almost pale/sweeter brew with earthy/floral notes. Kinda like a hippy milkshake IPA. What do you guys think?

Fermenter Size: 1 gallon

Grain Bill:
  • 1.36 lb American 2 row Pilsner
  • 0.44 lb American white wheat
  • 0.34 lb Rolled oats
  • 1 lb shredded taro root
  • 0.1 lb tapioca starch
  • 0.2 lb Lactose
Boil (60 min):
  • 0.14 oz Citra hops (60 min)
  • 0.2 lb Lactose (10 min)
  • 0.6 oz Citra hops (0 min)
Ferment:
  • SafAle US-05 Yeast (dry, because 1 gallon brewing)
  • 0.3 oz Equinox (Ekuanot) hops (3 days)
  • 0.3 oz Equinox (Ekuanot) hops (7 days)
  • 1.2 oz Jasmine Green Tea (7 days)
Not sure what's going to happen to the tapioca starch or the taro root but it was in the description for the beer I'm trying to recreate...

Thanks!

Sounds interesting. I have no idea how it will turn out but there doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with your recipe. Good luck!

Go for it. I might add the starch to the mash so it can be converted to fermentable sugars, otherwise it may just make your beer cloudy/grainy.

Supposedly taro root "soaks up flavor like a sponge" so you may want to mash that too as it is also starchy.

Maybe you already planned it that way too but just wanted to clear.

Thank you for the replies!

Yeah I was going to add the tapioca starch and taro root to the mash. I have been trying to figure out if tapioca starch has any other purpose other than increasing gravity. I was thinking of maybe keeping the temperature of the mash at 155 or 156 to give the beer a bit more body and make it more milky.

Latest posts

Back