removing stopper from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carndog

Reaction score
I am going to rack to the secondary, but I can not get the stopper from my blow off tube out of the primary. I tried using the back of a spoon, everything and I can not put it out. Any tips? I should mention I am using a better bottle and a rubber stopped.

Thanks

Just keep working at it. Sometimes they can get lodged in there. You might want to pick up the next larger size for next time. Don't push it through, or you will never get it out. Maybe needle nose pliers would work.

yep ^^ or if there's enough sticking out to get a pair of channal locks on it and gently swist back and fourth with a little upforce

I actually used a carriage bolt (sanitized of course) to pry it out. I am going to leave more hanging out next time. And I may have to order a larger stopped. I am using the one that came with my kit.

Don't push it through, or you will never get it out.

Actually....

My very first brew a few years back, for some reason I thought that the stopper needed to be under the lip of the carboy, bad mistake!

I did eventually get the stopper out of the carboy, using a combination of a wire hanger, channel locks and a LOT of luck.

As for getting it out, keep working at it, needle nose pliers work great.

Back