Removing red wine stain from auto siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use my auto siphon for both homebrewing and winemaking, probably once a month for the former and about every 6 months for the latter. I am currently making a super Tuscan wine and each time I use my auto siphon the plastic turns a beautiful shade of red. I've tried both PBW and Oxyclean soaks and while they do make a difference, the auto siphon retains a light pink hue.

I have never had a problem using the pink-hued siphon for beer but there is a small part of my brain, the anal part, that wants that pink gone. I may just bite the bullet and get another auto siphon for brewing and just use the pink one exclusively for winemaking since I only make reds.

Anyone found a better solution for cleaning than what I've tried?

I may just bite the bullet and get another auto siphon for brewing and just the pink one exclusively for winemaking since I only make reds.

^this. That way, they are color-coded: one for beer, one for wine. Not that there would ever be any cross-contamination if they were cleaned and sanitized, but since I share the same 'retentive' trait, that's what I would do.

I've been using the same autosiphon for years, and I make a ton of reds. Weird, because mine looks the same color as always. Maybe mine is a harder plastic?

I wouldn't worry about it, but I think the color might bother me a little also. If you want to buy a new one, then you'd have a back up if one breaks (I broke one about 9 years ago, inside, by knocking out that 'floating piece).

Back