Relocating to Omaha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be happy to have you bring grain to my house to mill. It's a Monster 3 roller mounted on a good size table. Send me a PM and we can make arrangements.

I was at both of the LHBSs today. I was surprised at how much of the liquid yeast was gone from Cornhusker from one week to the next. I didn't find the yeast I wanted at Cornhusker Beverage Mart today, and went around the corner to find it on hand at Fermenter's Supply in the refrigerator. In August, I appreciate not having to worry about it having it arrive hot and dead. It is convenient to have them within a block of each other, though they are not convenient to my home.

Neither place is going to compete with NB, Midwest, or others in that tier without a much more aggressive (or at least functional) web presence. That said, I appreciate being able to drive there and grab stuff without planning a week ahead or paying prodigious shipping costs. Running a business, their inventory is presumably constrained by limited profit margins and limited volume. I try to buy locally, even if it costs me a little more, to do my part to ensure that they stick around.

I have to admit, it is kind of weird for our yeast supply to drop so fast! The previous week I thought I had enough stock and enough additional inbound to handle demand (and for a typical week I would have). I think that as the extreme temperatures of the last few weeks eased a bit everybody decided to brew!.

+1 on Upstream, Crescent Moon, Beertopia, etc.

I agree, Friendly Frank takes some getting used to and his prices are high, but when you need something in a pinch, it is good to have him. His selection is a lot better that Cornhuskers.

On a side note I've noticed on this, there are a bunch of us in West O. Maybe we should all get together. I haven't gone to any local clubs because of the distance. I would host it in my garage if people are interested.

There are SOB's everywhere. Several live in midtown, most live in West Omaha. Only a few of us actually live in the South O/Bellevue area. We will be at the crescent moon on Wednesday for the Belgian Beer Society meeting around 5:30ish, feel free to drop in and hang out with a large group of beer nerds.

by SOB do you mean son of a . . ., or is this special beer nerd terminology that somehow I am unaware of?

oh, good. :)

I was just commenting that there aren't any groups that meet out here in West O. Now that I have completely taken this thread off topic. :)

Back