Regular European TV broadcast available online??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
I am trying to find any free, streaming feed of “regular” European (in particular German or Italian) television stations. That is, non-English language content ... and in the language of the country of origin.

Not content generated originally for a website, but instead the regular television station that one would watch on a television set in Europe ... which is also available over the internet.

So far I have found a lot of convoluted and confusing information talking about satellite provided free stations; stations prohibited from re-broadcast due to licensing issues ... and particularly, a lot of recorded content (YouTube, tube sites and similar). That is *not* what I’m looking for.
I am NOT looking for content cached at a website that is then redistributed as specific, finite downloads.

What I AM looking for is an online website that one could get real-time (or near real-time) content to stream to one’s computer where you could leave it on all day and simply watch the real-time shows, commercials and news from a standard TV station from Germany or Italy (preferably).

I am located here in the States ... so content blocked from the U.S. Internet sphere is not going to help ... however, alternately, if anyone knows of any sort of reliable, free, proxy-based redirection or application (with no malware etc) that gets you to the sort of content I am describing above ... content that may otherwise be blocked from IP addresses in the States ... that might be a possibility too.

But like I say, I am really hoping for something that fits my primary description above.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks GF and trussell for the suggestions!

Looks like that firefox add-on has a reputation for system issues. And the version of that add-on I'd need is the pay-for one ... I'll keep it in mind but I think I'm going to avoid that one for now.

GF ... I started chewing through the links you noted. Lots of the resources there are not the type of "turn-it-on-and-forget-it" feed I'm looking for, also many are blocked ... I did come across at least one that was a real-time streamed shopping channel - not accessible today tho. I guess I'm going to just have to keep searching around. Thanks for the suggestions.

Like I say , if anyone has first-hand experience with a channel that fits my original description above I'd still be very appreciative to hear about it.

You might try this one:
http://www.dw.de/dw-radio-programs/a-1777509

Click on "media center" & they give you the option to watch live TV.
Does it have to be video/TV? I used to listen to DW on shortwave radio once in a while, if you're just wanting to hear the spoken language that might be an option for you. That's all I got, Hope it helps.
Regards, GF.

You might try this one:
http://www.dw.de/dw-radio-programs/a-1777509

Click on "media center" & they give you the option to watch live TV.
Does it have to be video/TV? I used to listen to DW on shortwave radio once in a while, if you're just wanting to hear the spoken language that might be an option for you. That's all I got, Hope it helps.
Regards, GF.

Thanks again GF.

Yeah, I need the video portion to queue me into what they are talking about.

Went to that deutsche welle site with high hopes ... tried it on Firefox, Chrome and also MSIE. Even with the max permissions ... nothing. I think they are also blocking U.S. IP's from the German Language broadcasts, too.
WTF.

I guess at some point I'll have to find a proxy server to get around this BS.
That plug in mentioned above (by trussell) was interesting ... but it is reported to have system resource problems. As well, for some reason it just makes me skittish.

SO ... HERE'S ANOTHER QUESTION ...

Do any of us have experience with a stable, decent, non-shady proxy service? Free one if available ... but if not, I may be willing to pay-up to be on a trustworthy, well-rated one.

I've put the one recommended by trussell on my list ... any others?

Any recommendations or comments much appreciated.

I use Firefox with the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/anonymox/ plugin to watch the BBC iPlayer. It basically masks your real IP and reports a country specific IP.

@trussell
Are you using the pay-for version or the free version?

After reading around, it appears the free version is ad-sponsored and so loads quite a bit of ad-crap which slows the connection down. It would appear the pay-for version does not have this problem.

I am going to be doing this from a desktop system ... have you noticed any other connection or system resource issues on whatever device you are using?

Also, have you noticed much network interruption (dropped service etc) from Anonymox's servers/network?
I'm wondering about issues with anonymox reportedly, massively portscanning the hosts you are trying to access.
While this would be more an issue of the anonymox ip's being punted, I'm wondering if it results in problems keeping a stable (anonymox) IP.
I could imagine big media companies such as Deutsche Villa or Gruppo Mediaset in Italy having robust responses to someone rattling all their doorknobs that could make it tough to keep connected.

Sorry about all the questions. I appreciate your input.

Thanks again!

@trussell
Are you using the pay-for version or the free version?

After reading around, it appears the free version is ad-sponsored and so loads quite a bit of ad-crap which slows the connection down. It would appear the pay-for version does not have this problem.

I am going to be doing this from a desktop system ... have you noticed any other connection or system resource issues on whatever device you are using?

Also, have you noticed much network interruption (dropped service etc) from Anonymox's servers/network?
I'm wondering about issues with anonymox reportedly, massively portscanning the hosts you are trying to access.
While this would be more an issue of the anonymox ip's being punted, I'm wondering if it results in problems keeping a stable (anonymox) IP.
I could imagine big media companies such as Deutsche Villa or Gruppo Mediaset in Italy having robust responses to someone rattling all their doorknobs that could make it tough to keep connected.

Sorry about all the questions. I appreciate your input.

Thanks again!

I haven't had an issue with adds. I installed the plugin and when I go to the iPlayer it lets me watch Doctor Who and such :)

I do mainly use Firefox for the iPlayer so maybe if I was surfing with it I'd have an add problem, don't know.

Latest posts

Back