Regarding BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnitrof

Reaction score
I have read the instructions for BOMM, however I am confused about the DAP and Fermaid K. I found one DAP as a Yeast Nutrient and one as a Yeast Energizer. One site no longer carries Fermaid K.

Instructions states: 1:2 DAP:Fermaid K at various times.

I would welcome any suggestions / comments

Thanks for your time (in advance)

Dan

Get some DAP (doesn't matter if labeled as a energizer/nutrient, DAP is DAP), get some Fermaid K

Mix them together at a ratio of 1 part DAP to 2 parts Fermaid K

Put in a jar with a lid, and use this mixture in the amounts listed during the fermentation.

I am having difficulty location Fermaid K, DAP, and Wyeast 1388 in one location (web site) … any suggestion…

Thanks

I had the same problem. Most HBS sell a pre mixed yeast energizer and nutrient. When doing your SNA just use the recommended dosage and divide by the amount of SNAs. For me this wasnt enough, there would be a smell of sluphur so just hit it with another dose. You will figure out what works for the energizer nd nutrient you are using.
As for yeast if you can not find wyeast 1388 you can substitute Danstar Abbey ale or Danstar CBC-1 I have used both and the work very well although I have not used 1388 yet so you will have to that the word of the creator of the BOMM that they are a good substitute.
If you can not get nutrients and energizers mix im sure if you ask Mr Loveofrose for his all natural BOMM recipe he will surely oblige

Tiz a nice rabbit hole this one!

I've only used wlp 570 as it's what I have in my yeast bank.

I've yet to find a store that didn't carry ferm k and DAP but I might be spoiled being in chicago, and previously next to AiH.

Actually, Wyeast 1388 is the best of all yeast because it allows the pure honey flavored to come forward. Lallemand Abbaye works equally fast, but leaves some Chimay like esters behind. CBC-1 needs a bit more age. WLP570 is very inferior in my hands despite it being sourced from Moorgaat brewery.

You can find all BOMM ingredients at www.morewinemaking.com.

Actually, Wyeast 1388 is the best of all yeast because it allows the pure honey flavored to come forward. Lallemand Abbaye works equally fast, but leaves some Chimay like esters behind. CBC-1 needs a bit more age. WLP570 is very inferior in my hands despite it being sourced from Moorgaat brewery.

You can find all BOMM ingredients at www.morewinemaking.com.
Hello Loveofrose: Many thanks for the web site link.. if successful I hope to start my first batch within a few weeks.

I plan to tap my birch trees in a few weeks, do you think utilizing the sap,instead of water for the mead would work…

Hello Loveofrose: Many thanks for the web site link.. if successful I hope to start my first batch within a few weeks.

I plan to tap my birch trees in a few weeks, do you think utilizing the sap,instead of water for the mead would work…
My Safari can not make a secure connection to the site you provided.
Will try another server..

I've heard from others that birch sap will work. I don't have birch trees, so no personal experience. The link functions fine on my phone. You can also go to my website under articles for a full list of material sources:
www.denardbrewing.com

I've heard from others that birch sap will work. I don't have birch trees, so no personal experience. The link functions fine on my phone. You can also go to my website under articles for a full list of material sources:
www.denardbrewing.com
Thanks.. I went to your site, still unable to open… perhaps it is my MacBook… However I was able to find Fermaid O, would there be a difference between Fermaid O and K??

Thanks

Was able to open site on another computer…. I will use Birch water (sap) for my first BOMM…

Thanks for all your help

Dan (northern Maine)

Huge difference between Fermaid O and K. If you want to use O, it's an entirely different protocol (TOSNA) with mixed results.

Back