Refrigerated Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticcolorado

Reaction score
I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I could not find anything posted.

How long can whole hops be refrigerated before they go bad. I am going to be brewing this weekend and I have had some hops in the refrigerator for over a month. I am not sure if they are still good, or if I should buy more from my LHBS.

Look for yellow or brown colors for signs of oxidation. Best indicator is the aroma, if you still have a clean hop smell, you still have good hops. Hops in the freezer can be preserved for years without significant degradation.

I vacuum seal my fresh hops and pellets and freeze them. I use bags and jars for both. I have had some pellets for almost 2 years now and they seem to be just fine. Vacuum sealer is a valued item im my setup.

Salute! :mug:

All hops have a life expectancy based on 0 F and 02 and light free. You can find a table with the informationat the hops union web site. Just try and keep yopur unused hops as cold as possible, keep air out and in the dark. As stated you are fine after only a month but for future referance....

Back