Refractometer problem: weird readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtian

Reaction score
So my refractometer is acting screwing over the last couple batches. When I check it with water it reads correctly at 0, but the last couple times I took readings with a drop of wort it gave me a pre boil gravity of 13.5 Brix then post boil of 10.5 Brix. That jus isn't possible to loos gravity with a boil. Any ideas? Temp was about the same both times and just a drop wort so???

Wort stratification happens regularly if the liquid has been still for a few minutes... Give it a good stir before you take your reading. Also keep the refract at room temp and try to use the same light source if possible. I've noticed deviance with all those variables and they are easy to remedy.

Sent from my HTC One S using Home Brew mobile app

Mine never reads the same as the hydrometer, even with calibration, letting the sample get to room temp, and converting Brix to SG using an online calculator. So I gave up one it and am just going to use the hydrometer for now on.

Back