RedXScrewup....(Big Red)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Screw Ups always present opportunities............ I was rather disappointed in this one though. I meant to brew up my Nelson Sauvin RedX (almost smash) ale, but managed to dump the wrong bag of grain in................. That's right, two row and RedX look identical. I didn't realize my mistake until I pulled the brew bag out......... Really wasn't giving it much thought............. Boy that looks pale! ................ Oh well, I now have a 2.5 gallon batch of pale ale instead of a red.
Now the question was how can I do a second mash......... I have only one burner to work with, and what am I going to make 2 gallons of.........That's the capacity of my other fermenter.

So I set the wort aside while I heated enough water for a two gallon mash, and went to work with Brewer's friend, and decided to simply go "large", and put the full 5 pound bag of RedX in along with half a pound of carapils, and use the Nelson Sauvin for a projected OG of 1.075 and FG of 1.019, ABV of 7.38, and an IBU of 36

Meanwhile a quarter pound of CR60 is steeping in the pale ale wort to "enhance it" just a bit. Hammering out the details, my pale ale will be fuggles based with a quarter ounce of magnum (60 min), and fuggles added throughout the boil as well as dry hopped with fuggles, for an IBU of 37

My two gallon fermenter, really has an absolute capacity of 2 gallons, so I'm resorting to reducing my boil volume by half a gallon, and I'll add sterilized water after the krausen falls..... Anybody else do this?

I just ordered one of those cute Demon Brew fermenters..... a rather cute transparent mini conical you can buy for $35.00

It's shaping up into an interesting day......... trying to keep all the balls in the air ;-)

H.W.

Back