reds are all foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atticafarmer

Reaction score
Long time learker first time poster.

I'm hoping some vets are able to help me out and I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this but here it goes.

I have brewed two separate batches of a heavy red beer and both have been almost 80% foam after carbing.

Batch #1 fg was .013 , secondary for 1 month and then bottled with corn sugar. After a week in the closet I chilled and it was pretty nice. As it aged longer in the bottle though each time more foam was present than the last. We ended up with 3 bursting in the closet and finally pouring the rest out when they became nearly all foam once the seal was broken.

Batch #2 fg was. 011, same recioe as #1 but was in the secondary for nearly 3 months. Was Was fantastic out of the secondary, this one we kegged with no sugar just forced at 10psi. I just hit the keg after 5 days of carbing and same thing, nearly 80% foam off the keg.

I know a Hefe is very large head and these reds are twice as bad. Is there somethinh with the yeast (wl380) or am I missing something about a red?

I cant understand why both would have the same result bottling and kegging? When I read other posts about too much head its usualy too much sugar or too much pressure but for both of them to do the same thing with differwnt carb techniques I have to wonder what I'm missing?

Any input or help epuld be greatly appreciated. I can drink the Porter just fine but I would like to drink this red also.

TIA

Questions:

1. What was the OG?
2. Extract? Partial mash? Partial boil w/ top off or full boil?
3. What was that about a Hefe and a Porter?how do they fit in with the "heavy red beer"?
4. Fermentation temps?

It almost has to be something in your process.

Batch # 1

OG - 1.65

Batch # 2

OG - 1.62

Both batches were AG " no sparge " with full boil.

I only made the comment about the Hefe because I would expect a large head with that and the Porter I kegged and brewed the same time I made the # 2 Red and it kegged fine.

Ferment temps were 66-68 on the outside so whatever the difference ( couple degrees ) on the inside while the action was taking place.

Both were in the secondary at 67 degrees.

I agree it has to be something in the recipe or process to repeat itself the same way after carbing. I initially thought the first batch hadn't fermented out correctly and once I added the corn sugar it took off again but when the second batch did the same thing after kegging I began to think there is a bigger problem.

I know it's just a red but it's great for the guys that are still on the fence about homemade brew and trying to get them hooked. We are having a brew party next Saturday with a handful of newbies and I would really like to get this batch drinkable before they come and really be able to set the hook ( And I would rather they drink the red than all my Porter) .

I don't think it's leftover fermentation that didn't complete, although that would be a guess for a bottle bomb. I guess it's worth asking how long you let primary go? Until FG stops changing or until bubbles stop or just a set amount of days. Racking still leaves yeast in suspension, so if there are still a lot ... well that could do it. But still, that's a long secondary, I wouldn't think there would be anything left at that point.

So that leaves priming. Are you priming based on the recipe or based on volume post fermentation/racking? It's possible you are overpriming I guess, but it's hard to know really.

Back