Rediculous story about my second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splatteralus

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch, tried tasting it... incredibly strong, kind of acidic. It only made about 30 bottles so I lost a lot of liquid somewhere!

Anyways, I quickly brew up my 2nd batch, a brown ale. Everything is going according to plan. Since I don't have a wort chiller we have to use a bathtub filled with ice. My buddy goes to pull it out of the tub once it has cooled down... the floor is slightly wet and woOOOop he slips, falls face first back into the tub, splashes the pot down into the water, goes face first INTO the pot full of wort, bath water splashes everywhere (I assume into the wort).

Talk about contamination. I put it into the primary w/ yeast and 12 hours later we have lots of activity. Should I even consider drinking this beer? Is it going to be filled with nasty bacteria?

If it tastes good you should have some fun replicating it :D

Roger.

And if it doesn't, name it. Might I suggest Face Plant?

Also, I'm of a mind to think that personal brewing is an individual sport. You do the work, let them reap the benefits with you.

Hopefully, your yeast set up camp and are making it hard for any bad bugs to get a foothold in your beer. Let it ferment and when you take a hydrometer reading, rack to secondary, or go to bottle it, taste a bit of the flat beer. If it tastes sour, rancid, etc. you might think about pitching it. But in the mean time, have some faith in your army of yeast. They will most likely protect your beer from invaders. Your beer will probably end up fine.

Face plant... that's a good one. :D

did you clean the tub before you put your kettle in there?

good thing it wasn't still 200 plus degrees :eek:

I did not clean the tub before hand as I had no intention of the water getting into the wort haha

I racked it over to the secondary today and it smelled fine although I didn't taste it.

I tried some of my first batch too. It smells like beer, looks like beer, but has a very sharp kind of acidic or high alcohol taste. Almost kind of stingy. Kind of weird.

hehe only 6 days. I put 5 gallons worth of priming sugar into 3'ish gallons of beer so I wanted to open one to make sure it wasn't already ready to explode or somthing.

Too bad it's a brown and not a lager. Golden Shower Lager would be a funny name. The Brown Shower is better left undiscussed.

splatteralus said:
hehe only 6 days. I put 5 gallons worth of priming sugar into 3'ish gallons of beer so I wanted to open one to make sure it wasn't already ready to explode or somthing.

Just make sure the bottle temp doesn't get too warm. best at about 74F . after 4 more days keep them chilled. If you let them get too warm you just might have some bottle nads.

Back