Records you bought twice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
I've always thought a sign of a good record is one you bought on cassette then bought again on CD, or maybe you had it on vinyl and later got it on cassette or CD or maybe all three. What are yours? Mine are:

Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Paul Simon - Graceland
U2 - Achtung, Baby! and Joshua Tree
Metallica - Black album
Pearl Jam - Ten
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

There's more I'm sure.

Weird Al's first album. Bought cassette when I was younger (Although I didn't get that particular WA album until years after it was released. A few years ago I remembered the cool album art and wanted to check it out in person, and also get a CD because the cassette was long gone.)

The Empire Strikes Back. Bought the double album as a kid, and then later I picked up the double CD set.

I own about 4-5 copies of Extreme III ; II Sides to Every Story. A Yard sale in my town had several copies for sale and I wanted one for each car...

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Pink Floyd - The Wall, division bell, momentary lapse, Dark Side
The The - Infected, Mind Bomb
The Police - Every Album
GNR - Appetite for Destruction
David Gray - White Ladder
NIN - Downward Spiral
Zeppelin - Everything
Hendrix - Everything
Bowie - Everything
Beatles - Everything

Issue is for most of those, i bought the vinyl/Cassette when it came out, then bought the CDs when they came out, then bought the albums from the apple store.

I can't name how many... I had a portable cassette player that ate my tapes. Then I had an 8 track in my car and another for my stereo. They also ate some. The 8 tracks died the death that should have happened shortly after birth. I then bought lots of used cds on Ebay then ripped them all to MP3s. I now stream most of my music. Except for the thumb drive in my car that has about 8,000 songs on it.

I bought a lot of albums twice by the time I went from records, to cassettes, to CDs. Easily the one I bought the most was We sold our soul for Rock n Roll. It got broken, lost, stolen, you name it.

Had the Beatles White album on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD, and now on iTunes.

Some of those might be worth money if I still had them.

Too many to name. I've been on a kick trying to find original mastering recordings for the last several years so that may be on CD or vinyl depending on the age of the recording. For CDs, you can still find a lot of them new online. Vinyl requires ebay or used record stores.

AC/DC - Back in Black (Bob Ludwig vinyl master)
Led Zep II (Bob Ludwig vinyl master that was pulled for being too loud) - this one is not so easy to find
1980s Metallica (CDs and vinyl)
1980s Megadeth (CDs and vinyl)
Rush discography up through Moving Pictures (CDs and vinyl)
Maiden discography up through Seventh Son
Roth-era Van Halen (CDs and vinyl)
Ozzy - Blizzard and Madman albums before Sharon had the original bass and drum parts removed to avoid paying them royalties

The list could go on and on

Just thought of some more:
Van Halen - 1984
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Jesus & Mary Chain - Automatic

Springsteen's Tunnel of Love (multiple times as gifts. Does that count?)

Bob Dylan's Desire

George Harrison's Cloud Nine

Cannibal Corpse- The Bleeding
Napalm Death- Scum
Steve Martin- Let's Get Small

there are probably others, but those are the ones that stand out.

WOW..thats going deep..like 8th grade to 12th grade
The only thing I can think of for sure from record to cassette are:

Eagles Desperado
Judas Priest Sin after sin and screaming for vengeance

There has to be some Iron Maiden and Sabbath in there but those memory cells are gone

Quite a few back in the glory days of vinyl.
I'm talking the first Cream album, Grand Funk Railroad's first, stuff like that.
Originals were simply played to death.

Wrt digital, just one - Pink Floyd's Pulse concert double DVD set.
Original somehow got lost and I couldn't live without it :)

Cheers!

I wore out the first one learning to play guitar.

Appalachian Swing.jpg

I remember my mom had to borrow my car and found my Outkast-ATLiens, Green Day-Dookie, and Metallica-Master of Puppets. She said she threw the out the window so I bought the again. Then years later I was helping them move and I found those CD's in a drawer

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced, bought it on vinyl & later on cassette.
Boston - Boston (1st album), bought it on 8 track & later on cassette.
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals & Wish You Were Here, bought them on cassette & later on CD.
Rush - Permanent Waves, bought it on vinyl & later on cassette.
Klaatu - Klaatu (1st album), bought it on cassette twice cuz the tape deck munched the 1st one.
Regards, GF.

I remember having the first Boston album on vinyl, 8 track, cassette and CD. There were several others I had two of, Van Halen, Chicago, Doobies, Meatloaf, Nugent, Molly Hatchet. All in the 70's.

I bought yessongs at least 4 times, then cd's came out, thank god

Yes I'm old

Latest posts

Back