Recommendations for 2-Stage Fermentation Control (Heating/Cooling)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-star

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my Johnson controller and want to add the capability to heat and cool from the same unit. Right now, I have choose between cooling in my chest freezer with the Johnson unit, and heating in a water bath with an aquarium heater.

I would certainly appreciate any recommendations from those who have some experience with two stage controllers. Which units do you recommend? What is your preferred method of heating (pad, fermwrap, brew-belt, etc.)?

Thanks for any insight.

I'm looking to plug a heating and cooling device into one controller that can flip between heating/cooling modes. Does the STC-1000 do that?

Yes, the stc-1000 will do that. It works similar to the Dwyer below, but uses a single probe. I wired mine to a dual outlet--one for heating and one for cooling. I plug the freezer into the cool side, and a heat lamp into the heat side. Slip the lamp into the freezer and off you go.

One issue is that my unit is only celsius. So I am always converting. Also, setting the target temp is kind of a pain..

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm not really looking for the cheapest solution, especially if I have buy other components and/or wire it myself to get it working. So the STC-1000 is not really a consideration for me.

I'm mostly interested in a plug-and-play unit that will accept two power sources (heating and cooling), that can be flipped between modes with a switch, and is accurate to 1F. I'm envisioning a carboy with heatable fermwrap in the chest freezer with a thermowell that can accomodate the temperature probe.

Anybody out there using this type of setup? If so, what controller are you using?

STC-1000+...no need to flip between modes and it does temperature ramping over time. No pre-fab units in stock right now though.

go for the johnson controller A419 then - thats what you're looking for

Well, not exactly. I have the Johnson A19 now...it only does cooling OR heating. It accepts only one device at a time.

I want one controller that I can plug two things into simultaneously...ideally my chest freezer and say fermwrap. I would like to go from cooling to heating by only the flip of a switch.

While the STC works and is inexpensive, for another twenty bucks or so the brew-pi and a thermowell into the fermenter have kept my fermentation temps within half a degree to the selected profile.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/howto-make-brewpi-fermentation-controller-cheap-466106/

Current fermentation..

brewpi.jpg

If wiring up an STC is off the table for the OP, then the BrewPi has to be off the table, as well. It is much more complicated to put together, and requires hardware and software integration (that said, I just ordered the parts for mine the other day, and am excited to try it!!)

If wiring up an STC is off the table for the OP, then the BrewPi has to be off the table, as well. It is much more complicated to put together, and requires hardware and software integration (that said, I just ordered the parts for mine the other day, and am excited to try it!!)

Hmm... Business opportunity for someone...

I see Wilconrad has sold out of "The Black Box" too

http://www.blackboxbrew.com/

[...]I'm mostly interested in a plug-and-play unit[...]

While the STC works and is inexpensive, for another twenty bucks or so the brew-pi and a thermowell into the fermenter have kept my fermentation temps within half a degree to the selected profile.
[...]

That would be the appropriate answer to "And I don't mind spending days acquiring components, wiring it all together, and programming it"

Cheers! ;)

I'm looking to upgrade my Johnson controller and want to add the capability to heat and cool from the same unit. Right now, I have choose between cooling in my chest freezer with the Johnson unit, and heating in a water bath with an aquarium heater.

I would certainly appreciate any recommendations from those who have some experience with two stage controllers. Which units do you recommend? What is your preferred method of heating (pad, fermwrap, brew-belt, etc.)?

Thanks for any insight.

I use both a Ranco & a Love 2stage temp controller plus a couple of Auber single stage units.
For heating I've settled on a ceramic bulb like this used in reptile enclosures (150w). No light emitted at all. Also less chance of a fire as w/ small heaters(I had one about a year ago)!
I also use a small fan that runs during both heating & cooling cycles for better temp consistency throughout my ferm chambers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That would be the appropriate answer to "And I don't mind spending days acquiring components, wiring it all together, and programming it"

Cheers! ;)

DeadHorse.gif
Understood...

Back