Recommend a Commercial Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersteiner2345

Reaction score
So far I have only tried 6 different Porters. Some were OK, but most were way too roasty, almost smokey, flavored for me.

I love a good stout, and stouts are one of my favorite types of beers. I love them all too, Irish Dry, Oatmeal, Coffee, Imperial, you name it.

Here's what I have tried...
Firestone Walker Reserve Porter- I liked this one the best
Odell Cutthroat Porter-
BJs Brewhouse PM Porter
Sam Adams Honey Porter
Sierra Nevada Porter
Baltika #6

The only one of these I liked was the Firestone, the Odell, BJs and Sam were tolerable, but it was hard to finish a hole one.

So, do I just not like Porters, or have I just not found the right one yet? I would think they were extremely similar to a stout, which I love... but this just doesn't seem to be the case.

I have reviewed over 550 different beers. I love trying new things, but my experiences with these few porters leave me timid to try it, and always falling back on other styles that I enjoy more.

Any suggestions?

Porters are similar to stouts in that we, being in the US, are typically "raised" on lighter, more hop or adjunct-infused brews, whereas Europeans tend to have a larger selection of darker beers, so it's not just you. I was the same way for a while, but I first tried Stone's Smoked Porter and absolutely fell in love. Eel River also makes a mean one, and Sierra Nevada's Bourbon-aged Porter is also awesome (if you can find it). :rockin:

Deschutes Black Butte Porter is one of my favorite beers but I am also a fan of Sierra Nevada Porter, which it sounds like you didn't like that much. I would still give Black Butte a try if you can find it.

Thanks. Will look for those.

I am not one to force an issue. I am OK not liking Porters... just want to make sure I am not missing out of a crazy world of them.

Local brewery here makes an Imperial Chocolate Porter... that sounds tasty for sure.

Deschutes Black Butte Porter is one of my favorite beers but I am also a fan of Sierra Nevada Porter, which it sounds like you didn't like that much. I would still give Black Butte a try if you can find it.

I'm also a fan of the SN Porter, but to my palate it's a little hoppier than most porters.

My fav commercial porter is Highland Oatmeal Porter. But that doesn't help the OP, since it's only available in the SE.

I second/third both Black Butte Porter (My favorite all-time beer) and Edmunds.

FYI, I try to like Pilsners, but as many as I try I still don't. I've come to realize it's a style I just don't enjoy. Yeah, I know it's a great style, but meh. I'd rather have something else. As long as you can back up your opinion, go ahead and dislike a style! You've tried over 500 beers, you obviously know what you do and do not like.

B

Anchor Porter, Great Lakes Edmond Fitzgerald Porter , Sam Smiths Taddy Porter and Meantime London Porter. All fantastic and all very different. One of these will be to your taste.

I would also recommend Fuller's London Porter and Avery's New World Porter....me likey... +1 to Stone's Smoked Porter. I was skeptical at first about the smoked flavor but it's awesome. Note to self: brew clone of Stone Smoked Porter...

I would also second the notion that maybe you just don't like porters...and that's ok. I'm with bad_coffee....I just don't care for pilseners and I'm fine with that. Buy what you like...brew what you like :)

Rogue makes several porters which are Americanized with lots of hops. That may be more your thing. Deschutes is similar but less hoppy.

It may just be that you are less of a fan of the chocolatey/roasty flavors in a porter than you are the sharper roasted flavor more common in stout.

Wow, will have to look at them. I can't get Yuengling here (sucks).

I am thinking the Black Butte and the Anchor one to start. Will try the Rogue sometime, but Rogue beers are too rich for my blood for a gamble. (Unless they sell this in 12 oz).

Original Flag Porter...if you can find it...is the best I've ever had.

Soooo smooth...

If you don't like Sam Smiths Taddy Porter, Bell's Porter or Founders Porter, then I think it is time to throw in the towel.

Speakeasy Payback Porter is one of my favorite beers, period, but hard to find and better on draft. Fuller's London Porter, as the #1 commercial example of 12A Brown Porter, is probably the most representative of style.

Baltika anything makes me feel like I'm going to retch.

Holy buckets this one is great. Got it today (along with the Black Butte and the Anchor). This is the first one I have tried, but it is phenomenal!

Not sure which I am more happy about, that I have this great beer, or that I don't necessarily hate all porters! lol

I had Port Brewing's Baltic Porter last weekend, and quite enjoyed it. It was a very drinkable, light (for a porter) beer. it wasn't overly roasty or smokey, just a really clean, drinkable porter. I don't think that it was really in the style of a Baltic Porter, but I liked it nonetheless. Of course, I like smokey and roasty porters, as long as they aren't too much so. Stone makes a smoked vanilla porter that is really awesome, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find.

Stone is very easy to find here (since we're only 5 hours from the brewery. Will look).

Thanks! Man, this beer is warming to probably 60 degrees now and it is really opening up. Fantastic beer.

Unfortunately, the Vanilla one is hard to find. :(

They have it on occasion as a special growler fill option at the brewery, but for actual commercial releases, I've never seen one on a shelf since I became a fan over 6 years ago (and I lived within a 10-minute drive from Stone for over 4 years...).

Edit: 1337th (leet) post. Woo-hoo! :ban:

If you can find Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter it is very good also Emperyean's Dark Side is great but probably even harder to find.

If you can find Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter it is very good also Emperyean's Dark Side is great but probably even harder to find.

Saw this for $6/6pk yesterday or $1.25 per bottle. Should have got some. Oh shucks, guess I have to go back now. ;)

Can't today though... building my Son of Fermentation Chiller.:rockin:

Back