recirculation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
So I have a march pump and misc pieces/valves/hoses/etc on the way. I am planning to recirculate my wort before sparging to get it cleaner and clearer (among other pump uses).

When I recirculate the wort for this do I need to be going through a sparge arm to make sure the wort gently lands into the MLT? or does that matter so much?

If I go through my sparge arm (yet to fabricate) with the recirculating wort will I run into any issues, and will the sparge adequately clean out my sparge arm so I don't have to do extensive cleaning with brushes so that soaking and rinsing will be adequate.

I'm totally pumped about getting a pump :ban:

Sounds to me like you have the right idea. I recirculate through my sparge manifold, but mine doesn't have small holes in it. You don't need small holes for a sparge arm/manifold, and larger holes would prevent grain particles from jamming in the manifold too. Running the hot sparge water through the manifold after vorlauf cleans it pretty well, and I've never had to use a brush on mine. I usually just give it a cold rinse and light scrub with my hands after each brew day.

You can see my sparge manifold here: homebrewtalk.com/f170/electric-brewery-plans-need-help-183775/index34.html

TB

I found that a sparge arm cools the wort down. Followed the advice of others who just lay the tube on top of the wort while maintaining an inch or so of liquid above the grain. If you use a thicker mash you might be better off with the arm.

I found that a sparge arm cools the wort down. Followed the advice of others who just lay the tube on top of the wort while maintaining an inch or so of liquid above the grain. If you use a thicker mash you might be better off with the arm.

That's a moot point in my case. I use a copper manifold that is always submerged in the mash water, and is fed by a short length of silicone tubing. The manifold quickly equalizes temperature with the mash, and the only losses are incurred in the hose, which is common to both designs.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but don't rule out a sparge manifold based on temp losses, since that's simply not true with my design. It will vary, depending on if you submerge your manifold or not.

TB

The pump is one of the best things I added to my rig, so congrats on that. I have a RIMS setup so I recirculate the whole time. My hose just sits in the mash kinda coiled but submerged. I batch sparge if it matters.

hmm.. I think I'll go with the submerging my sparge arm. That sounds like it will do everything I want and cause the least disturbance in my grain bed whether I am recirculating or sparging. Just laying the hose in it is tempting though.. but I already have the copper piping so why not go with it.

Thanks!

Back