Recipe/Style for Home Brew Contests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to enter AHAs home brew contest this year and I am trying to figure out what to brew.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what's the best style for home brew contests? I was thinking about making a brown ale or porter but I'm just not sure.
I don't have any delusions of winning anything. I just think it will be fun to try and maybe get some feed back on one of my beers.
What ever I brew I'm thinking I better get it going soon so I can cold condition it for a while before I send it in.

If you go with a brown ale, Im drinking one right now thats pretty damn good. maybe you could fool around with it some if you're interested.

I'm afraid I cant be much help helping you decide what to brew though. Thats gonna be totally up to you.

If you're only entering to get feedback on your beer, enter what you like to drink. If you are trying to win something, then consider what judges like. Its judged by category anyway, so whatever you enter will be judged against somewhat similar beers.

- magno

Brew something that you like making sure it fits the style guidelines. There's no sense brewing a super hoppy double IPA if you don't care for hoppy beers. You'll just be stuck with 5 (or more) gallons of something you don't like.

Brew what you do best & figure out where that fits in the style guide. Most judgings, each judge works on a single style. Less common styles will probably get more attention and better judging. Something like an IPA can get slammed just because it's a little dark.

If you were looking for prizes, the trick is to pick something very few people brew (like a Mild).

Sometime, if I have the time off, I'm going to enter my Happy Birthday Hefe into a contest. I don't know if I'll win. I just LOVE that beer. I have made 15 gallons of it so far and I'll make more in the future. I'm just curious if judges like it as much as I do, oh, and my friends/family that can't get enough... LOL. It is the first beer I've made that everyone in my circle of friends and my family all just go nuts over! *shrug*:mug: :ban: :rockin: :drunk:

Back