Recipe Help: Questions about Beer Math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle23

Reaction score
I'm planning my next brew. Readjusting my IPA recipe after some advice is received from my uncle.

I put the recipe into Brewtoad and got one set of numbers. But when i actually do the math myself, i get numbers that are slightly off.

I went to the grain manufacturers website and got a the expected yields of the different grains, so I'm trusting those numbers to be accurate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, the recipe is:

10.5lbs 2-row @ 35.6 ppg
1lb Munich @ 35.2 ppg
1lb victory @ 33 ppg
------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i figure that gives me a total of 442 ppg, then if i expect 75% effentciy I will get 332 ppg of that (rounding the decimals). I am shooting for a post-boil volume of 5 gallons. So dividing that 332 by 5 will put my gravity around, 66 ppg. Meaning that i should have a OG of 1.066

I am planning to use Wyeast 1056 with a attenuation of 75 percent. So if everything goes well my FG should land at 1.017.

According to Brewtoad, with the ppg's of each of grains adjusted to match, it ways that my OG should be 1.061, and my FG at 1.015.

Now, I am far from a math expert, so I'm wondering if i missed anything in my number crunching. The BJCP outlines the style of an IPA for the FG to top out around 1.014, so i would like to stay close to that.

Also I guess the second part to my question is, what would normally be more accurate, doing the math yourself, or using an online calculator.

Thanks

Most calculators have some figure for kettle losses in addition to mash efficiency. eg you'll lost a quart or 2 in wet hops.

Your Math is correct You might try interrogating BrewToad to see what it uses for grain ppg, and volume. If it assumes 5.5 gallons, that would be just about correct.

The FG is just a crap-shoot. No calculator will give you the correct number, and much of it will depend on your mash temperature.

Personally I like my IPAs dry and would probably mash at 148, and try and finish somewhere around 1.008.

Back