Recipe for Mojo IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
I really like this beer, but couldnt find a clone. The site says it uses Pale Malt, Crystal 20 and wheat malt. The hops are Amarillo and cenntenial. I havent emailed the brewer yet, but any help would be appreciated.

Greg

Sheesh, three months and nothin? Anyone have any idea about a recipe for this? I just drained my last bottle tonight! :)

Greg

sorry, not able to help really, but id love to make a clone of this as my next IPA. Great beer. id think its just a little bit of wheat and about a lb of caramel 20L?

i too would like to make this had 1 last nite and it was nice.

some1 needs to play around with beersmith and see if they can get it. or if any1 knows the ibu's for it that would work too.

i got to playing around with a calculator at work today it was sooo slow. anywho this is what i came up with

11# 2row
2# crystal 20L
1# wheat malt

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Time
25.0 % 1.00 Centennial Whole/Plug 10.1 45
25.0 % 1.00 Amarillo Whole/Plug 9.6 30
25.0 % 1.00 Centennial Whole/Plug 10.1 10
25.0 % 1.00 Amarillo Whole/Plug 9.6 10
then dry hop with 1/2oz amarillo and centennial

let me know what every1 thinks i got the ibu's from boulder as 70
this clocks in at 71 with an og of 1.066

No idea of the accurate recipe- but I had this one in beersmith for quite a while - can't remember the source- but here is what I had. I hope this is accurate. I love Mojo and would love to get something close on tap this summer. I've never brewed this recipe, but have all the ingredients in house for a Monday brew session. I could tell you in about a month how accurate it is.:drunk:

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.76 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 13.79 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 10.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 9.2 IBU

Beischer you need to up your ibu's i was told mojo is 70 you have like 41. the recipe i came up with was for 5.5 gallons and a brewhouse efficiency of 70 with yeast atten at 80 since thats what i got the past 2 times with notty and 05. i think it was actually closer to 85.

Resurrecting an old thread...has anyone tried to brew a Mojo clone? How were the results?

Trying this one tomorrow:

6lbs liquid pale extract
2.5 lbs 2 row
2lbs caramel 20l
.5 lb white wheat malt
1oz Centennial 60 min
1oz Centennial 20 min
1oz Amarillo 20 min
1oz Amarillo 7 min
1oz Amarillo Dry hop
Wyeast Northwest Ale (HBS did not have American II)

Never had this beer before, but wouldn't 2lbs of Caramel Malt turn out a pretty sweet IPA? I would think you would want it around a 1/2lb, maybe even less. I'm curious to hear how this turns out, most people want to dry out their IPA's. Interesting to see what seems like a little different approach to an IPA.

I'd love to hear back on any of these. I think Mojo is highly underrated. The only IPA i've had that I like as much as Mojo is some tiny local brewpub IPA here in town.

It is a bit more sweet of an IPA, but not terribly so. Here's yet another recipe I found somewhere else online, but I don't think I'm gonna brew it until I hear a bit more feedback on other people's results.

[FONT=Tahoma, serif]10# Pale 2 Row[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, serif]1.5# Crystal 20[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, serif]1.5# Wheat[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, serif]1 oz Chinook (60 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, serif].5 oz Chinook (30 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, serif].5 oz Chinook (15 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, serif]1 oz Amarillo (5 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, serif]1 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, serif]WLP001 California Ale[/FONT]

Seems reasonable.

I'd love to hear about the results of people's clone attempts too, as I just had my first taste of Mojo IPA yesterday and loooooved it.

Any feedback on a Mojo clone yet?

No, but the revival of this thread has inspired me to try my hand at a clone approximation. I'm drinking some Mojo now...wait, my glass is empty... :D Okay, I'm drinking some now, and I did a comparison with a lower ABV Centennial Pale Ale that I had brewed with a simple grain bill of 9lbs. 2-row & 1lb. Caramel 20. Mojo was just barely a hair deeper in color than my APA, which I think will be made up by the extra base-grain in the stronger IPA. Also, to me the Amarillo comes through a lot more strongly than the Centennial in Mojo, so I'm going to emphasize that. Anyway, here's the recipe I plan to try:

Recipe: MojoIPAguesstimate
Style: 14B-India Pale Ale(IPA)-American IPA

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 7.25 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.75 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.50 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.053 SG
Expected OG: 1.067 SG
Expected FG: 1.016 SG
Expected ABV: 6.8 %
Expected ABW: 5.3 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 69.4
Expected Color: 5.9 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 12lb 0oz (88.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 20L Malt 1lb 0oz (7.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Red Wheat Malt 8.00 oz (3.7 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Amarillo (7.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used First Wort Hopped
US Centennial (9.1 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used First Wort Hopped
US Centennial (9.1 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 30 Min From End
US Amarillo (7.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 20 Min From End
US Amarillo (7.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
US Amarillo (7.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 1 Min From End
US Amarillo (7.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
Yeast Nutrient 0.10 oz used In Boil
Whirlfloc Tablet 0.10 oz used In Boil

Yeast: DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (67C/152F)
Step: Rest at 152 degF for 60 mins

Not sure how soon I can get around to actually brewing it, so feedback still welcome (especially if you've tried a different recipe already!). I'll either do US-05 or Wyeast Pacman for a yeast, unless someone else has a better recommendation.

That's a really good point to start from, and nice to have a side-by-side taste test of the two. I can't even get Mojo where I am now. Recipe looks good, and i'm reassured by your input. Probably will join you in brewing this recipe soon.

brewed yet? results? I'm going to brew up 5 gallons from one of these recipe variations next, and would like some feedback if you've got it.

brewed yet?
Sadly, no, I haven't gotten around to it yet. I had brewed a couple of IPAs as my previous batches, so I wanted to get some other styles in the pipeline before getting to back to this one. If/when I do, I'll be sure to check back with results, and I'd love to hear about anyone else's efforts with this clone.

maybe i'll have to be the guy. now that the weather is cooling off, I find I have Mojo on my mind...

Brewed my version of this tonight. Hit all my numbers dead on, hoping for success! I haven't had Mojo in over a year, and it's unavailable in my area, so it will be tough evaluating how well I did.

Bottled 2 days ago. FG sample tasted aaaaawesome. I'll be moving the family (and the business) back to colorado in a few weeks, so will get to compare. Yay! I'll post the recipe upon cracking the first bottle.

DojoMojo.jpg

Mojo is on the right, "Dojo" as I've named it, is in the Wild Hops glass on the left.

-First, There's an obvious color difference, though it is actually an issue with differing clarity. You're going to have to trust me on this - color is exactly the same.
-Head and head retention are nearly identical (Dojo was poured first and the head had started collapsing).
-Mojo has a somewhat hoppier nose. Dojo was not dry hopped due to the fact that I had to bottle it somewhat prematurely prior to moving. Dry hopping would take care of this.
-Bitterness is identical.
-Mojo has a very slightly more prominent hop flavor.
-Mojo seems to be a tad fusel-y compared to Dojo. Dojo is slightly affected by the yeast that made it into the glass (I did a repour to top off prior to snapping the photo) and has that flavor you'd expect from a bit of suspended yeast.
-Malt flavor has no discernable difference, which is to be expected with such a simple malt bill.
-All in all, this is a fantastic beer, and one I will certainly brew again. I do not plan to make any adjustments other than the addition of a dry hop.

I'll post the recipe in the appropriate forum area and share the link here whenever I get the chance. I'm on my Linux machine right now, and don't have Beersmith handy.

P.S. For those that don't know, "dojo" is the name for a Japanese martial arts school. The cap I designed for these bottles is a hop cone wearing a ninja mask :p.

Back