Recipe Advice (Blackforest Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtisAvs

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on this recipe, thanks!

Steeping Grains :

1lb - Barley, Flaked
.5lb - Chocolate Malt
.5lb - Crystal Malt 60L
.5lb - Black Barley
Extract:
9lb 7.5oz - Pale Liquid Extract
Hops:
2oz - Fuggles - 60min boil
1oz - Fuggles - 30min boil
Misc:
.25 tsp Irish Moss
Yeast:
1 pkg Irish Ale

1 cup of Cherry Liqueur @ bottling
1 cup of Creme de Cocao @ bottling

Last edited:
Hi Curtis. This looks like a nice recipe. I use flaked barley in my dry Irish stout, a small sessionable version of stout, and it improves the mouthfeel quite a bit.

Two suggestions - I would think about moving the second Fuggles addition from 30 minutes to 20 minutes, I do that with flavor additions.

The second is your flavorings at bottling. If I'm making a flavored beer like that, I will often make a tincture of the flavoring - soaking peppers in vodka, for example - and then add the tincture at bottling, as you're suggesting. What I do though is add a little bit, mix, taste and keep adding until its the right strength or balance.

I wonder if your flavored liqours will have additional sugars in them that the beer yeast will eat up? That would be something to figure out before you end up with bottle bombs.

Hi Curtis. This looks like a nice recipe. I use flaked barley in my dry Irish stout, a small sessionable version of stout, and it improves the mouthfeel quite a bit.

Two suggestions - I would think about moving the second Fuggles addition from 30 minutes to 20 minutes, I do that with flavor additions.

The second is your flavorings at bottling. If I'm making a flavored beer like that, I will often make a tincture of the flavoring - soaking peppers in vodka, for example - and then add the tincture at bottling, as you're suggesting. What I do though is add a little bit, mix, taste and keep adding until its the right strength or balance.

I wonder if your flavored liqours will have additional sugars in them that the beer yeast will eat up? That would be something to figure out before you end up with bottle bombs.

Thank you! It's my first recipe so I appreciate the feedback.

Back