Recent Craigslist successes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtkratzer

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been keeping an eye on Craigslist lately for some cheap prices on stuff and I've come up with a couple lately:

7 cases of 16 oz bottles (168)
4 cases of 12 oz bottles (48)
1 case of 25 oz bottles (12)
3 5 gallon carboys
7.5 gallon fermenting bucket, probably going to be my new full time sanitizing bucket
Bottle capper
Bag of 144 bottle caps
Jet bottle washer
Bottling wand
Racking cane
siphon hoses
Hydrometer
floating thermometer
sanitizing powder
bottle brush
carboy brush
airlock and stopper

For $115, I thought these were some deals. Still looking for some deals/steals on kegging equipment. Some of this stuff I already have, but I guess having backups/extras can't hurt. If my sister's boyfriend wants to get started with his own equipment, I'll just give him some of the extras.

As long as it wasn't some Brett crazed home brewer who never sanitized properly. Sorry just kidding.

Good haul man. I constantly keep my eyes peeled on craiglist in the local big Texas cities.

As long as it wasn't some Brett crazed home brewer who never sanitized properly. Sorry just kidding.

Good haul man. I constantly keep my eyes peeled on craiglist in the local big Texas cities.

That's why I'm not going to be using the fermenting bucket for anything other than sanitizing other stuff. Glass is easy enough to clean, disinfect, and sanitize.

I'm just pumped that I have enough bottles to hold a bit over 35 gallons of beer and enough carboys do some batches of Apfelwein and probably some Skeeter Pee this summer.

Jeez . . . I have a hard enough time finding 12oz. bottles. I have to schedule bottling days around bottle acquisitions!

So jealous - congrats.

What started my whole beer brewing journey was finding:
10 cases of 22oz bottles
a 6.5 gallon glass Carboy
a 5 gallon glass carboy
a 6 gallon plastic bottling bucket
a racking cane
a wing capper

all those for $35. Gotta love craigslist.

What started my whole beer brewing journey was finding:
10 cases of 22oz bottles
a 6.5 gallon glass Carboy
a 5 gallon glass carboy
a 6 gallon plastic bottling bucket
a racking cane
a wing capper

all those for $35. Gotta love craigslist.

You win.

i found a guy on craigslist who gave me his entire kegging setup for free!!!!i got 2 corny kegs,nice regulator,full co2 bottle,6.5 gal carboyand a bunch of misc brewing supplys.i couldn't believe my eyes when i pulled into his driveway and saw it all just sitting there.i tried to offer the gut some money(fully knowing how much all this stuff was worth)but he refused.he just wanted to know it was going to get good use.and let me tell ya i have put it all to good use!!!!!!

Got my equipment on CL:

2 cases 12 oz bottles
Capper
~100 caps
1 7.5g plastic fermenter (with lid and airlock)
1 6.5g plastic fermenter (lid and airlock)
1 5g glass carboy (bung and airlock)
Racking cane, bottle filler, tubing

and the coup d'etats was a 0-20 psi adjustable burner

$75

i found a guy on craigslist who gave me his entire kegging setup for free!!!!i got 2 corny kegs,nice regulator,full co2 bottle,6.5 gal carboyand a bunch of misc brewing supplys.i couldn't believe my eyes when i pulled into his driveway and saw it all just sitting there.i tried to offer the gut some money(fully knowing how much all this stuff was worth)but he refused.he just wanted to know it was going to get good use.and let me tell ya i have put it all to good use!!!!!!

Previous win revoked. You win.

To the original poster keep in mind most people brew 5 gal batches and this would need a 6.5 gal carboy/bucket; 5 gal bucket wouldnt be big enough.

Todays score:

- 2.5 gallon ball lock Corny
- CO2 Mini charger w/ 4 cartridges
- 4 ball lock liquid connectors
- 2 ball lock gas connectors
- 6 o-ring keg rebuild sets
- 1 new keg pressure relief valve
- 3 new keg poppits
- 2 picnic taps
- 2 bottles of BLC
- 1 water filter cartridge holder (for 10" cartridges)
- 1 thin/long brush for cleaning dip tubes

$60 total

I don't look in any specific section.

I use canned searches of words like:
"brew | brewer | brewing"
"homebrew | homebrewer | homebrewing"
"keg | kegs | keggle | kegging"

Use the pipe character to do an "OR" search of multiple words.

Once you have a search that you want to use regularly, do the search on CL, then scroll to the bottom of the results and click on the lower right word that says "RSS". Then click on "subscribe to this feed". This will put the RSS feed into your e-mail program (if you have one that supports RSS) and make it so that your searches are automatically performed and they appear in folders in your e-mail.

By doing it this way, you can get fast alerts to new postings and jump on the stuff quick.

I don't look in any specific section.

I use canned searches of words like:
"brew | brewer | brewing"
"homebrew | homebrewer | homebrewing"
"keg | kegs | keggle | kegging"

Use the pipe character to do an "OR" search of multiple words.

Once you have a search that you want to use regularly, do the search on CL, then scroll to the bottom of the results and click on the lower right word that says "RSS". Then click on "subscribe to this feed". This will put the RSS feed into your e-mail program (if you have one that supports RSS) and make it so that your searches are automatically performed and they appear in folders in your e-mail.

By doing it this way, you can get fast alerts to new postings and jump on the stuff quick.

I always use "Beer" in the search. I found a person who has over a hundred cases of bottles for $4 a case, I have already bought 5 cases from them and looking to buy more the first of the year.

Another tool is crazedlist.org. I think it takes some browser tweaking, but it allows you to search multiple towns/cities across the US at one time.

I haven't been able to find anything... looking for a brew pot with a drain... and a 10 gallon mash tun.

What section do you look in for homebrewing supplies?

Jon's tip is very good, personally I also add in "Wine Making" or anything related to wine too. Especially around the SF Bay area (because of it's pretty close to Napa Valley) alot of people will just post up stuff as wine making. Carboys, fermentors and sometimes bottlers will work for both beer and wine.

I'm about ready to put my whole AG system up for sale on CL (SF Bay area). Can handle 10 gal batches. Everything you need to make and finish AG.

Don't worry, not getting out of homebrewing, just upgrading to an all electric HERMS system.:)

If anyone in the San Francisco bay area has some spare cash, This guy is selling a SABCO Brew Magic system, 2 15.5 Blichmann conical fermentors with extra o-rings and leg extensions ($350 each), and a ton of other stuff.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/for/2101323228.html

Still too expensive for me, but at $350 the Blichmann conical fermentors look pretty nice.

If laughing your a$$ off is a craigslist success, then I have just succeeded!
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/app/2066899506.html

Holy crap, that was one of the funniest CL ads I've ever read.

I also scored big on CL 3 weeks ago, a BeverageAire DD68C dual tower kegerator for $300 (it'll hold 12 cornie kegs). It came out of an American Legion hall and, to be honest, I was certain that I was going to puke cleaning it - I swear they hadn't replaced the lines in several years and it was literally coated inside and out with cigarette smoke; worst of all, the foam under the drip tray was soaked with old, stale, moldy beer and had to be removed and replaced. So, it took a solid week to refurbish but now it's freaking sweet.

can't believe people can't find bottles. where i am, we throw bottles away since no one wants them. i have about 150 i'm throwing away this weekend

Finally got a craigslist score! Multiples actually! 7 cases of 16oz Straub bottles from a distributor for $3 a piece and the remainder was some fellows decade old “Bottle Collection.” His SWMBO was tired of it and had to make room for greater things. About half of the bottles still had beer in them. I dug through them looking for keepers, but he had already pulled out all the high-grav delicious beers. I opened a few to see if there was any hope but, alas, they were all skunked. I did the unthinkable and sent them all down the drain.
1zw2qu1.jpg

Got about 2 cases of twist-tops. I also emptied about 2 cases of pry-tops prior to these.
sfungn.jpg

Interesting double labeled Molsons.
sxn3iq.jpg

The Straub pint bottles must be the only bottles I’ve seen in years that have the *clink* marks from reuse. These were the 2 worst, but I’m bottling with them anyways.
261j0nq.jpg

Just got a 17cf chest freezer for 100 delivered. Move over 9cf fermentation chamber, you're getting demoted back to freezer!

The Straub pint bottles must be the only bottles I’ve seen in years that have the *clink* marks from reuse. These were the 2 worst, but I’m bottling with them anyways.
261j0nq.jpg

I have 7 cases of some beer I've never heard of before that are almost all like this. I'll use them, whatever...

Back