Recent batch tastes bad compared to previous attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReeseAllen

Reaction score
I just started brewing a couple of months ago, but I've got about a half dozen all-grain batches under my belt by now. My first AG was EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. After two weeks in the bottle, it was heavenly. Truly amazing beer. So I brewed it again a month later. The new batch is now at just over two weeks in the bottle.

I have to say, fairly disappointing results this time. It has a sort of stale flavor that crowds out all the other flavors involved. The best way I can describe it is to say that it reminds me of the smell of an old half-full can of BMC that's been left out on the counter overnight. It's the aroma of a house full of empty BMC cans the morning after a big party.

Looking back at my technique and equipment, I can't think of anything I did differently. I used all the same equipment. I followed all the same procedures as far as I can remember. I bought the same grain bill, same hops, same yeast, from the same LHBS. Fermented in the same part of the house, same kind of carboy, etc.

Obviously, I'm going to let it condition for another few weeks and hope that the yeast works out the badness and turns it into an amazing beer eventually. But, I'm still curious. What could cause such a big downturn in the beer quality when it's the same brewer, same technique, same equipment, same ingredients? Now I'm worried about my other recent brews, which are fermenting or bottle conditioning as we speak...

did you keep the fermentation temp the same? what was it? consider that fermentation temperatures can greatly affect the flavor of your beer, maybe it fermented 5 degrees warmer? Ed's pale ale recipe calls for Nottingham right? Nottingham can put out some funky esters at higher temperatures.

We're far from having super controlled conditions. I could brew the exact same recipe over and over and over and it will taste different each time. Sometimes the difference is significant. Sometimes it is not.

My current batch of porter is a perfect example. I've brewed this recipe before (twice) and it was good the first time, a little better the second time, and now it's just OK. There is a little bit of a twangy note to it... not really SOUR... but... I don't know. SOmething ain't right!

Anyway... I would not worry about your other batches. They are all unique and one batch having an off flavor does not mean any other batch will.

:mug:

Plus, give it some time. You might be surprised at what it becomes.

Been just over a week since I posted this. Sampling another couple of bottles tonight, now 3 weeks in the bottle. I have to say that it has definitely made good progress over the last week. That stale, unpleasant flavor that dominated a week ago, is almost entirely gone now. Overall the beer is kind of plain-tasting but I'm happy with it now.

Back