Recap of my first Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 79142

Reaction score
Recap of my first Partial-Mash

After my first attempt with partial mashing, I though I'd post a recap of the process and perhaps see where I might have improved my process. I brewed this Honey Basil Ale recipe:

71.4 % 5.00 Light Dry Malt Extract 33.8 2.0
14.3 % 1.00 Canadian Honey Malt 4.5 25.0
7.1 % 0.50 Wheat Malt 2.9 1.7
3.6 % 0.25 Dextrin 1.2 1.5
3.6 % 0.25 Flaked Barley 1.2 2.2

2 oz. East Kent Goldings
2 oz. Fresh Basil

Observations:

1. Bigger grain bag needed: I had a smaller-ish nylon bag that accommodated my grain bill, but it was pretty tight and not ideal. Also, a small portion of the bag was sticking out from the water, so I kept turning my bag over during the mashing process to ensure that all of the grains were being soaked. I hope this was ok.

2. Temp control: I had a bit of a problem maintaining the mash temperature on the stove. I had it dialed in to the 160 range, (to account for the drop in temp from the room temp grain bag) but I couldn't maintain the 150ish range with any consistency. I didn't want it to get too hot, but I hope that the lower-than-called-for temps won't hugely affect the extraction process. I'm guessing that it had a pretty good mash in the high 140s range, so I think from what I've read that all should be OK. Lesson learned: Get a better, instant thermometer and perhaps wrap the kettle in a heavy blanket while mashing. Thoughts?

3. Not enough Basil: I only bought about 1.5 oz of basil (oops) but this shouldn't be too much of an issue in the end.

4. No Irish Moss: I forgot to purchase this at the LHBS, but my understanding is that this more for clarity and shouldn't affect the overall taste in the end.

One other thing: I did take a gravity reading (forgot to write it down and compare to recipe), but I think based on my memory that it was a little lower than the target 1.055 (in the 1.040s). I'm pretty sure I had mixed the wort well (it was post-aeration with a wisk), but since I didn't write it down, it's not worth worrying about.

All in all, a pretty painless, though not perfect, inaugural PM. Only time will tell, I guess. A special thanks to DeathBrewer for his excellent sticky and Marc0 for answering some of my questions offline.

I've tried the towel/blanket thing in the past it works good enough. When I did them, I used to do partial mash in the oven.

Set your oven on its lowest temp (ideally 150, but mine only went down to 170). Let it get nice and warm. Get your water up to temp, add the grain and lid it, and put it in the oven (oven should be shut off at this point).

Even with the oven off it will hold temp pretty well (that's what ovens do). Check your temps every 15 minutes or so. Remember that different areas of the mash will be different temps so take several readings. Try not to stir too much, you'll lose a lot of heat. You can bump the oven back on for a minute if your temps start slipping.

Check out this great partial mash thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

--EDIT--
Looks like you've already found that link. I'll leave it here for others trolling for info on PM.

I'm in agreement w/ HelperMunkee's suggestion of using the oven. I just did my first partial mash last weekend and I used my oven's "Warm & Hold" feature which kept it at/around 150. My recipe called for a mash temperature of 155 so I did have to do some stirring to drop my temperature at the halfway point when the oven cycled on but otherwise it wasn't as hard to maintain mash temps as I anticipated.

Oven recommendation--good tip! I did my first partial mash last night. I mashed in a kettle that was way to full to move into my oven... but next time!

I brewed that same recipe last week, except I did biab all-grain instead of any extract. Let us know how yours turns out! Mines got two more weeks in the primary before going into the bright tank

Back