Really vigorous lacto?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdamanii

Reaction score
Hey guys, brewing my first sour (berliner weisse-ish brew) and have a question on the lacto. (Opted for short boil and hop, then lacto afterwards because I didn't want to chance contamination with unboiled wort.)

On Monday, I went through my mash and did a 20 minute boil, adding my 5 IBU of hop, then pitched a solid 2L starter of White Labs lacto into the wort. I've not yet pitched any saccro at all, but I've got what looks like a full on krausen from the lacto (with some of the traditional lacto pellicle bubbles thrown in here and there.)

Is this typical lacto behaviour? The starter never went this hard. My sample today tasted relatively sweet, not very sour (I'm assuming because the wort still has a fairly high SG, as the lacto hasn't chowed down completely on it and no saccro has been introduced.)

Photo attached. Thanks guys.

5daae808ab7d11e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg

I've seen that before with my Berliners. The one in particular I can remember was an imperial berliner (6% ABV) made with an apple juice starter which had a 36 hour head start on the sacc/brett mixture. That beer could strip the paint off a car. I'm not saying that yours will do the same, but it looks like your lacto is quite healthy. :)

Thanks for the reassurance. I've never seen photos of lacto doing that before, so it did surprise me.

Strange that I'm worried about infection when I basically intentionally infected it...

Back