Really trick ABV claculation - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TequilaMockingbird

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me, as I am really not sure how to do the maths on this. I have finally kicked off a recipe I have wanted to do for ages. A chocolate porter with rum, raisins and banana.

My hyrdometer readings give the indication that the final ABV of the base beer will be 3.3% abv.

To the final beer I am naturally adding rum, and cannot work out the final ABV based on the following amounts and strengths. Has anyone any idea how I would go about doing this?

23 litres beer at 3.3%abv
+
20cl Rum at 37.5% vol

Bit tricky, I know, hope someone can help,

Thanks in advance!:drunk:

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me, as I am really not sure how to do the maths on this. I have finally kicked off a recipe I have wanted to do for ages. A chocolate porter with rum, raisins and banana.

My hyrdometer readings give the indication that the final ABV of the base beer will be 3.3% abv.

To the final beer I am naturally adding rum, and cannot work out the final ABV based on the following amounts and strengths. Has anyone any idea how I would go about doing this?

23 litres beer at 3.3%abv
+
20cl Rum at 37.5% vol

Bit tricky, I know, hope someone can help,

Thanks in advance!:drunk:

I think you can just move the decimal point to the left 2 spaces since 20 is close enough to 23 to get an estimate. So 3.3 + .375 = 3.675 ABV. This is what it would be if you had 20 litres of beers, since you have 23, will be slightly lower, but no lower than 3.6 ABV.

Actually it wouldnt give you that much of a bump.

The beer has 75.9 cl of ethanol in 2300 cl of liquid (2300*.033).
The rum has 7.5 cl of ethanol in 20 cl of liquid (20*.375)

So the total is 83.4 cl of alcohol in 2320 cl of liquid, or 3.59% ABV.

So the total is 83.4 cl of alcohol in 2320 cl of liquid, or 3.59% ABV.

Okay, I submit to the real math behind it, maybe slightly lower than 3.6, but I'd always estimate a 3.59 up to 3.6.

Okay, I submit to the real math behind it, maybe slightly lower than 3.6, but I'd always estimate a 3.59 up to 3.6.

Its not much variance in this example, but it could be a much bigger variance in an example where more liquor is added. I thought it might be nice to do the actual math for someone else to use as an example when the thread came up in a search later.

Back