REALLY OLD full bottle of Guinness.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADCL0WN

Reaction score
Hi guys. My friend was cleaning out their neighbor's basement and came across a full case of Guinness 6 1/3 ounce bottles from who knows when. They are all full! Any idea on how to date these? She also asked if there are collectors out there that would want them. I told her I'd ask here. Can't imagine they are still good but it is unique to get a case of probably 40 or 50 year old beer. Here's some pics. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398211362.243348.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398211381.308822.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Other people will probably be willing to pay more. I would love to have them both to try and as perfect bottles for barley wine.

Thanks for the link!

Since there is an entire case of them I do plan to open one and (possibly) try it. Not expecting much but I can't pass up the opportunity to try 40 or 50 year old Guinness. I'll post tasting notes. Or possibly just smelling notes. :)

This is awesome. Not sure how much there worth but would love to get a bottle of each for my bottle collection

PM me is this is possible

CHeers!

Thanks to mtnagel I think we may have narrowed the dates to between 1935 and 1939. The tax stamp on the bottle is from the back. It's a State of Ohio tax stamp on malt beverages for 3/4 cent. The tax was increased in 1939 to 1.5 cents and there was a new stamp issued. So these bottles of Guinness May be nearly 80 years old! I plan to call the Ohio Department of Taxation to confirm the last date that the 3/4 cent tax stamp was used.

Thanks to mtnagel I think we may have narrowed the dates to between 1935 and 1939. The tax stamp on the bottle is from the back. It's a State of Ohio tax stamp on malt beverages for 3/4 cent. The tax was increased in 1939 to 1.5 cents and there was a new stamp issued. So these bottles of Guinness May be nearly 80 years old! I plan to call the Ohio Department of Taxation to confirm the last date that the 3/4 cent tax stamp was used.

Cool. Do I get a bottle? I'm only an hour and a half drive away :)

Situations like this make me wonder if Southby's would auction something like this? That's the biggest auction in the world for good quality antiques. And a lot of very deep pockets!...

Is there a bar code on the box or bottles anywhere? just goes to show or forfathers liked to age there stouts also.

When I was in Ireland last year, Guinness has an awesome museum and tour. They had a huge display of old bottles and might be able to tell you.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That's definitely one for the collection. They're worth something with cap & label intact, even more still full & unopened.

Using this document... I'm going to say that it's not from the 30's and that PP was better with his quick search. (Note: it's possible that this document is missing changes, but it appears to be more similar to 55 and 95)
2GxRp-NQKZWudFfV7KCdUJBVX7R6qKsgdkVSI9_AuFAH=w641-h223-no

That's pretty cool.

According to this, those bottles might only be from 1980. Not conclusive though. It's all I could find in a quick search.

Using this document... I'm going to say that it's not from the 30's and that PP was better with his quick search. (Note: it's possible that this document is missing changes, but it appears to be more similar to 55 and 95)
2GxRp-NQKZWudFfV7KCdUJBVX7R6qKsgdkVSI9_AuFAH=w641-h223-no

I think most dating estimates so far have come from the tax stamp that OP shows in the first post. Did Guinness release a "throw-back" label that included a tax stamp?

If I recall correctly they were not using bar codes in 1938, just sayin:D
Very cool find.

If you read passedpawns post you would have seen that there was some question on the date of 1980. if i'm not wrong i remember some stores had scanners in 1980. this being the reason for my post.

Sorry for the long absence. I've taken a couple more pictures and, more importantly, tasted it. So for those who are looking at the harp, here is a closer look that shows the older style.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411172007.451214.jpg

I was planning on detailed "tasting notes" but it was not drinkable. Able to be tasted? Yes. It was pretty much vinegar. Slight hiss when opened but no carbonation. Smelled like malt vinegar and tasted the same. But like spoiled vinegar if you know what I'm talking about. Residue in the bottom of the bottle. Here's the cap and bottle.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411172221.071526.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411172238.793535.jpg

So for the collector, a fine specimen. But not for throwing back a couple with the boys. I did confirm with the State of Ohio the validity of the tax stamp. So that puts the bottle in the 1935 to 1939 range. The rest of the bottles are almost exactly like this one. Next step is to contact Guinness. Hopefully more updates to come.

Latest posts

Back