Real fruit fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaftandDirty

Reaction score
Has anybody augmented any of their ciders with actual fruit mash or puree? I imagine the sugars in the juice is ideal, but I am looking at ideas on more fruit tasting ciders. My next batch is going to be another apple-pear, but I was hoping to increase flavor with mashing natural or un-preservative derived canned pears. I have also heard of peel flavors helping as well...

Raspberry is good with cider. Half a pound to a pound and a half to taste. I usually add them about 5 days before I cold crash. US05 yeast seems best so far for raspberry mix

If adding the fruit early on, just make sure there's enough volume for over 5 gallons before adding the fruit. Most of the fruit puree will be left behind after racking. Common sense but I thought it could be some useful info.

Also another tip is to make sure your fruit stays submerged to reduce the chances of mold. Probably won't have too much trouble with it in the primary with all the activity and krausen but it's something to look for if you end up adding additional fruit to the secondary instead.

Back