ready to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroiv

Reaction score
so i brewed my first allgrain smash brew about a week ago and for the last 3 day my gravity has not dropped at all does that mean i can throw it in bottles?

why the rush? normally yes but what is your final gravity reading? It will benefit from some extra time in primary to let all the trub fully sink out and clear

It might be/probably is safe to bottle, but I would want to know the gravity reading and what you expected the gravity reading to be first.

Even if it is safe to bottle your beer now (i.e. active fermentation is done so you won't have any exploding bottles), your beer will benefit from a little more time before bottling. I usually leave my beer in the primary fermentation vessel for around 3 weeks and sometimes also do another week or two in a secondary vessel. The yeast will continue to work after active fermentation, cleaning up after themselves is a metaphor that is sometimes used. This is helpful is reducing off-flavors in your beer.

Congratulations on your first all-grain smash brew!

FG is about where i expected. and i read that the type of yeast i used can be done fermenting in about 3 days

I bottled my first batch after 10 days, and I really regret it. It tastes alright, but there are some subtle funky flavors that I am quite convinced would have mellowed out if I had waited. Or maybe I did something else wrong, but having rushed it out of the fermenter, now I'll never know. FWIW.

Does it taste good? I wouldn't bottle it until it starts to taste like you want it to. Gravity, clarity and taste - when all 3 are there, it's time to bottle.

thanks for the thoughts guys i think ill wait it out even tho i am out of fermenters and wanted to brew more i cant get enough of it

I just want to add this. The main part of fermentation may be done in a few days. But, as mentioned above, the yeast do more than just ferment. Once they are done with the main fermenting, they start to eat up some of the by-products. So, give them some time and they will smooth out the beer.

Back