Reading a hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJO

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking at my instructions with my brew kit, it has the formula for alcohol content and the OG and FG are expressed as 1042 and 1006 - now looking at my hydrometer it isn't written like that, I have hopefully added a photo to show what mines like. How would I record this? I want to get it right as I completely forgot last time I brewed

image.jpg

that looks around 1.040 indeed, remember to correct for temperature if it is warmer than the meter states it is marked for.

Also, it's generally better to take a sample with a winethief or such and measure the gravity in a seperate thin measure glass than keeping the lid off a bucket and letting air and bugs get in.

You have the numbers, with 1.000 as the gravity of water @ the temp listed in the end of the hydrometer. Then you have 1.010, 1.020, 1.030, etc. The short lines in between are read as 2,4,6,8.

Back