Re-rack, bottle early, or leave it alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKenshi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I recently racked 6 gallons of cider to a carboy to rest and clarify. I had intended to leave it in secondary for 4 weeks before bottling, but after just one week I had a LOT of sediment fall out and it's clarifying very quickly. I've read a lot of advice about moving brew to secondary to get it off the lees and avoid potentially off flavors, but now I'm worried about leaving on these "new" lees for an extended period.

So what's more concerning... leaving it on the new lees and risking off flavors,or moving it to another carboy and potentially introducing new contaminants or oxidation?

The way I see it my choices are re-rack it to get it off those lees, leave it alone and stick to the plan, or bottle early (I'm liking what it's doing so far).

Thanks for the help!

Let it sit and clear. A few weeks won't matter.

I think there’s a big difference between the heavy lees that drop in the primary and the light fluffy stuff that drops in the secondary. I’ve had cider sit in the secondary for 3-6 months with no off flavors.

Thanks very much for the perspective. This is the best original product I've used so far. Very excited about the prospects and just don't want to take any chances.

I think there’s a big difference between the heavy lees that drop in the primary and the light fluffy stuff that drops in the secondary. I’ve had cider sit in the secondary for 3-6 months with no off flavors.
If doing multiple intermediate rackings...I assume the storage vessel still has an airlock on it...until the cider gets kegged or bottled...right?

Back