Re: Need Help with DIY Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cioffi

Reaction score
I've been searching for plans for a grain mill build (I searched the forum but haven't found what I'm looking for). I have two rollers and now have access to a full machine shop. So, I want to build the housing with adjustable gap setting for the rollers. Does anybody have CAD or similar plans for the housing, etc.?

Thanks, Todd

I'm planning to design a mill here around the christmas holidays.

Planning a pretty simple design with 2 rollers and some thumb screw adjustments somewhere .01" - .2" or so

not much on here about making your own since I think most people cant justify the machine shop cost as compared with the $$ of buying.

This is a very old photo of my grain mill build. I have since finished it and am yet to take photos of the completed mill.

after the rollers were knurled (coarse straight) I had them case hardened and tin plated. The box construction was also tin plated.

Rollers: 100mm Dia, forget how long they are. Dia 35 bearing journals, ect.
Photo00281.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photo00291.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Eccentric sleeves - these will give a whopping 6mm of gap adjustment.

Photo00301.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What diameter spindle did you use on the none drive side?

And are you locking the eccentrics with a set screw ?

This is helpful, but I'm hoping somebody has a more detailed set of drawings, etc. I guess my biggest question is how best to design the housing in order to get infinite adjustments for the gap setting.

TC

Back