Re-freezing steak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
My buddy drives truck for a food distribution company and recently scored some sirloins. The trouble is he let them thaw out! Are they re-freezable? They are packed air tight in a thick marinade. Or are we going to be woofing down 6 steaks today?

1. Invite friends over
2. Crack open brew
3. wait for friend/ fire up grill
4. profit
5. eat

1. Invite friends over
2. Crack open brew
3. wait for friend/ fire up grill
4. profit
5. eat

I would, but swmbo and most our friends are going to a "formal graduation party", that just leaves me and one other lucky soul to watch football, and try to choke down 6 steaks.

That sounds like three meals for you and one other lucky person.

Steak and eggs.
Steak sandwiches.
Steak, tater, and veggie.

They will be fine for a few days in the fridge so no need to hurry and eat them all today. Or cook them up rare and save what you don't eat for later. Personally, I love steak sandwiches. Sliced thin, layered on a sub bun, and smothered with horseradish.

They will be fine for a few days in the fridge so no need to hurry and eat them all today. Or cook them up rare and save what you don't eat for later. Personally, I love steak sandwiches. Sliced thin, layered on a sub bun, and smothered with horseradish.

Damn, Nurmey. Now you've gone and given me a hankering for a steak sandwich!

SWMBO says you can refreeze the steaks if you want. You're 'not supposed to' do it, but she does it sometimes with no ill effects. The fact that they're in marinade seemed to make a difference with her too.

I'd say no on the refreeze. The marinade is protecting it from bacteria now, but any water that's in the marinade, and that might be in the steak, could cause freezer burn. If it's packed in the marinade, it should be okay for a few days...just make sure the marinade is not too acidic--lots of lime juice or vinegar--or it will turn the steak into grey mush. They'll keep after they're cooked...and if you don't want that much steak, slice them up into a stew. I think you're facing steak all week, but there are worse things.

Refreezing will cause some tissue damage as the water in the marinade expands. Home freezer are a slow freeze that causes the damage. Originally, they would have been sent through a freeze tunnel at the processing plant. Freeze tunnels freeze products in minutes so that tissue damage is minimized. It can be done but be aware you may slightly reduce the quality of the meat. OTOH, it's free meat so it's got to be good.

I'd just cook them all up today. Like Jamo said, you can make sandwiches with them, steak and eggs is acceptable, you could also do a steak/strawberry/baby greens/feta salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.

Cook them sooner rather than later and they'll stay "good" for longer.

You can also cook them a little rare...that'll give you some room when/if you reheat them.

If these are sealed airtight in plastic bags with marinade, as you say, then I agree with those who say they'll be fine for a few days in the fridge. Just put them in the coldest part of your fridge until you are ready to cook them. Unless they were left at room temperature when they thawed out, they'll be good for a week to ten days packed that way.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this. I buy beef for my dogs from the "manager's special" bin. This is meat that is within a day of its "sell by" date. It is just wrapped in cellophane on styrofoam trays per standard grocery store methods, not sealed in marinade like yours are. I put it in my fridge in a plastic ziplock bag for up to a week to feed my dogs and it is still in fine shape a week later.

Latest posts

Back