Raspberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkohman

Reaction score
Hello,

I found the following recipe on beerrecipes.org and I wanted to give it a try... but I'm a fairly new brewer, (6 batches in,) and I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. The 1/2lb of crystal Malt.... at my LHBS they have Crystal 40, 60, ect.... but nothing that is pure Crystal. Which is this recipe referring to do you reckon? My understanding is that the crystal, as it increases by number, adds more flavour and colour... Do you think it would change the recipe much to leave out the crystal and add an extra 1/2lb of Pilsner? Thoughts?

5.5 lbs Wheat Malt
5.5 lbs 2-Row pilsner
.5 lbs Crystal Malt
.5 lbs Flaked Oats
2.5 lbs frozen raspberries
1 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker
Wyeast 1056

Thanks for your help!

Richard

Hello,

I found the following recipe on beerrecipes.org and I wanted to give it a try... but I'm a fairly new brewer, (6 batches in,) and I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. The 1/2lb of crystal Malt.... at my LHBS they have Crystal 40, 60, ect.... but nothing that is pure Crystal. Which is this recipe referring to do you reckon? My understanding is that the crystal, as it increases by number, adds more flavour and colour... Do you think it would change the recipe much to leave out the crystal and add an extra 1/2lb of Pilsner? Thoughts?

5.5 lbs Wheat Malt
5.5 lbs 2-Row pilsner
.5 lbs Crystal Malt
.5 lbs Flaked Oats
2.5 lbs frozen raspberries
1 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker
Wyeast 1056

Thanks for your help!

Richard

They should have specified what Crystal they meant. In a wheat like this, I have used C10, and it works. I wouldn't go darker than C20 because the flavor is also more intense. If you like the crystal/caramel flavor, you could also split it between C10 and C20 to have a little of each.

You could just eliminate it, but I would make up the difference by increasing the wheat, not the pils. It will be less sweet and thinner. The raspberries will add flavor, but they won't be sweet after they ferment, so I would stick with the .5 lb of Crystal 10L.

It sounds like a witbier that uses raspberry instead of the usual spices.

Back