Raspberry Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcbobs

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 minutes
IBU
32.9 IBUs
Color
37.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks at 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 weeks at 72F
Tasting Notes
Very rich and smooth with a hint of raspberry and vanilla lingering at the end.
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 57.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.2 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.1 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.1 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 6 4.1 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.1 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 11 8.2 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 26.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 6.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Add lactose to boil kettle with 10 minutes left in boil.

Ferment in Primary for 4 weeks.

One week prior to racking into secondary, begin soaking 2 split vanilla beans in 375mL of Chambord Raspberry Liqueur. Once it is time to rack into a fresh carboy, remove the vanilla beans and put Chambord infusion into the bottom of carboy before racking on top of it.

Leave in secondary for an additional 6 weeks and then bottle or keg and carbonate to 2.0 volumes.

Looks like a great dessert beer...but you are missing the most important part. How did it turn out?!

I've actually thought about using Chambord in a recipe before. I figured the alcohol would settle to the bottom and not be absorbed into the beer completely. Am I wrong?

It turned out great. The Chambord gave it just a hint of raspberry which is exactly what I wanted. My first batch of it has already been consumed (quickly I might add), but I'll definitely be doing a second batch of it again in the very near future.

The Chambord seemed to mix just fine when I racked the beer on top of it. Just like when adding priming sugar, make sure you put the Chambord infusion in the bottom and let the beer swirl as it siphons into the carboy.

I did this recipe except couldn't find cheap vanilla beans so I substituted a few ounces of vanilla bean extract. Turned out great so far (having a half pint only a few days after kegging it, couldn't help myself).

I'd like to attempt my first sour soon and thought maybe this recipe might be a good candidate to tweak into a sour. I really enjoy Jolly Pumpkin sours, and think that a stout with some fruit mixed with the sour and funk, would make for a nice experiment.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Back