Raspberry Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwmistr

Reaction score
Went to the store today and they had Raspberries on sale so I decide to make Mead.

Ingredients:
975grams Honey (used UN-pasterized local honey 1 jar=2.145lbs)
680 grams Ripe Raspberries
1/8 Tsp Ammonium Phosphate (Yeast Nutrient)
1 tsp Bread yeast (should die out on the sweeter side)

Top up to 3.0 Liters with is the top ring of neck of this fermenter which leave a 2" head space in the neck.

BRIX test 21.2=1.085 or 11.6%
I will have to punch down the cap as with raspberries they float to the top.

Do you know that the yeast will conk out before it finishes the sugar? 11.6% is not a session mead (hydromel) but it is not astronomically high. You might find that the yeast has more get up and go than you give it credit for... You might need to be prepared to step feed those critters with some more honey until they give up the ghost (sorta kinda... I don't know that the yeast truly die from alcohol poisoning. They may shut down but you cannot rule out that they may spring back into action just when you think everything has been squared away... :mug:

I know it's not mead and it might be cheating but if you use apple juice instead of water you can use less honey and I never had to step feed. 1 gal. of juice + 3 lbs. honey (1 guart) will get you 13% ABV. The berries are icing on the cake.

I have taken the raspberries out as the ferment did stop as expected. Added 1/8 tsp yeast nutrition and topped up with water for losses and presto fermentation is now on its way again and should be fine.

I know 11.8% isn't a session mead but I'm not going for that. This is for aging.

Back